Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Vervet Monkeys ruling the roost

I stay in an estate in the Eastern Cape that is being swarmed by monkeys.

You can't do anything without them around you.

We have a braai and they are there pulling the meats and salads. Have to keep the doors and windows closed at all times or they raid the house.

Trash day is the worst, the grounds look like a war zone when they are done ripping the bags.

Lots of people have complained to the executive about them but you get answers along the lines of that it's not an easy solution.

They have no natural predators and they have food on demand with the trash bags and houses.

They are extremely brazen and don't even flinch when you try and chase them.

Can anyone suggest a viable option for them? As much I can't stand them, I don't want it to get to the stage of people shooting them with slingshots or air rifles or even worse, getting a clever cat who reckons he will poison them.

User

Default Re: Vervet Monkeys ruling the roost

The sad/dark thing with monkeys Is that if you kill their children/babies, they leave.... Thats what I read on here on a forum a while back.

Unfortunately I do not know how to get rid of them in a humane manner.

User

Monkeys and humans are like water and oil in an engine, they both flow through the engine but in different compartments, the second they mix the engine breaks.

I don’t live in an estate complex but I am sure if you remove all overhanging trees and put up proper electric fencing all around that could prevent(or severely limit) them from coming in.
    I would also write the management a letter telling them that if they don’t do anything about the problem I would forward all bills for losses and damages to them.

Well at least that is what I imagine other people can do about the problem, not what I would do of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Monkeys and humans are like water and oil in an engine, they both flow through the engine but in different compartments, the second they mix the engine breaks.

I don’t live in an estate complex but I am sure if you remove all overhanging trees and put up proper electric fencing all around that could prevent(or severely limit) them from coming in.
    I would also write the management a letter telling them that if they don’t do anything about the problem I would forward all bills for losses and damages to them.

Well at least that is what I imagine other people can do about the problem, not what I would do of course.
    .22 or. 223?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven001 View Post
    The sad/dark thing with monkeys Is that if you kill their children/babies, they leave.... Thats what I read on here on a forum a while back.

Unfortunately I do not know how to get rid of them in a humane manner.
    I had serious problems with baboons at one stage. I left them alone when they stayed in the veld or the mountain area. Whenever they started raiding the housing area, I used to shoot the "leader" thinking they would stay away from the houses and camps. After about 2 weeks a new leader was in place and the problems started again. One day I heard them calling near the house and ambushed them. The only ones I could see were females and young ones. I shot a female and a young one before they departed. They did not return to the area around the houses. They gave the area a wide berth if they moved past to another part of the farm. I also noticed that when they were moving past the housing areas they did not make the normal grunting group noises and left the area as quick as possible. It sounds a bit callous but it was the only solution.

User

Unfortunately there is no easy solution. They are pretty clever, like the easy pickings around that type of environment for the energy dense food that they can find. Eating flowers and berries is hard work.

And they can become very brazen. Sooner or later someone will get bitten, then possibly people will be galvanised to take action.

User

Electric fence it works like a bomb! My neighbours battle with monkeys. Monkeys give my place a pass

User

The noise of a Tazer sends them flying!!!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Codie View Post
    .22 or. 223?
    First the 22 with supressor and subsonic HP ammo. Stay hidden while shooting, so they don't know where it's coming from. Do collect them and dispose of them in a proper manner.

Once they have figured out the range of your 22, you may have to move up to the 223.

This may well be problematic in a residential estate...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Raider82 View Post
    I stay in an estate in the Eastern Cape that is being swarmed by monkeys.

You can't do anything without them around you.

We have a braai and they are there pulling the meats and salads. Have to keep the doors and windows closed at all times or they raid the house.

Trash day is the worst, the grounds look like a war zone when they are done ripping the bags.

Lots of people have complained to the executive about them but you get answers along the lines of that it's not an easy solution.

They have no natural predators and they have food on demand with the trash bags and houses.

They are extremely brazen and don't even flinch when you try and chase them.

Can anyone suggest a viable option for them? As much I can't stand them, I don't want it to get to the stage of people shooting them with slingshots or air rifles or even worse, getting a clever cat who reckons he will poison them.
    This is no way to live. People shouldn't allow animals to exert dominance over them because sooner rather than later someone is going to get seriously hurt or maimed, very likely a child or a woman. I hope you keep record of the BC or estate management refusing to address the issue so you can sue them for damages when it occurs. They should already be in contact with their local nature conservation officials who must either address the issue or grant permits for the destruction of the problem animals.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast