Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Vervet Monkeys ruling the roost

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    First the 22 with supressor and subsonic HP ammo. Stay hidden while shooting, so they don't know where it's coming from. Do collect them and dispose of them in a proper manner.

Once they have figured out the range of your 22, you may have to move up to the 223.

This may well be problematic in a residential estate...
    I'm thinking a 5.5 air rifle would probably be sufficient for a vervet...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Codie View Post
    I'm thinking a 5.5 air rifle would probably be sufficient for a vervet...
    Just make sure of the legalities before attempting this.

Why do we feel the need to kill and dominate everything around us instead of finding ways to coexist.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Shooting at animals where non-hunting people are close or present is not something to do. The OP clearly are living between other people. What happens if a wounded mother monkey with her baby runs to the neighbouring "monkey hugger" auntie next doors?

No, violence by projectiles in this scenario is not on.

I don't have the answer as I have never been in the situation. One of these days a monkey will attack somebodies child. An attack is imminent. Collectively in the area a solution that is agreed upon must be found.

How lucky we are on the farm. The only ones that needs to agree is myself and the rack of rifles on which one of them is going to do the task at hand. For problem animal control I currently favour my AR.

User

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    Why do we feel the need to kill and dominate everything around us instead of finding ways to coexist.
    Because there is no peaceful co existence between monkeys and humans. If it is tried children die

User

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    Do you live/camp near monkeys? Do you maybe have a way to explain to the monkeys to leave my stuff alone and coexist with me? I wonder if the problem at Sodwana is still so bad, there is zero food or stuff inside your tent but the tent will be torn open and shit on everything. At least it gave some the local population some work because you had to employ them as camp guards.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    Do you live/camp near monkeys? Do you maybe have a way to explain to the monkeys to leave my stuff alone and coexist with me? I wonder if the problem at Sodwana is still so bad, there is zero food or stuff inside your tent but the tent will be torn open and shit on everything. At least it gave some the local population some work because you had to employ them as camp guards.
    When I was little we use to camp there, big scale, massive food tent and all (maybe I remember it as massive because I was so little) but my folks had a bunch of rubber snakes in the food tent and it worked for a while...

2 Decades later a monkey wouldnt move out of my way on the walkway path (the normal wooden houses, not the "Lodge") so I stuble charged at the ape, it moved 2 meters back and called my effing bluff, charged right back at me....

On anothe note, woke up around 3 the one morning with someone climbing through the window, thaught I was dreaming and yelled, the people ran....

User

Monkeys when left to be will eventually start to dominate the area and leave you helpless, they see your family retreat each time they appear, they see you shout and chase them but they are out of reach, some even throw stones back at you. They are now less of a conservation issue and more of an urban vermin/pest. We should be allowed to control pests like how we do rodents. I’ve had huge issues with monkeys aswell , I have unfortunately stopped planting at home , they ruin everything, my dog had been attacked twice , by a troop , the second time ended up at the vet for a week. My small kids have been chased from the jungle gym. They have costed me thousands in repairs. I Have now changed my fencing and built up a wall and will install electric fencing and spikes. I’m more concerned for my kids now and will do what I have to to get them away. Btw, I’ve spoken to the local monkey huggers association, they want me to hug more monkeys and live in harmony with them like neighbours. Aybo

User

People simply don’t get it, they cannot be bargained or reasoned with, they follow their instinct in the exact manner nature created them, there is nothing wrong with them, they are what they are.
    Human society perfected luxury living, in general we have more than enough resources, for example a bowl full of apples is not something you will find in the wild, so monkey see monkey do.

You give them free reign and they accept it with open arms, the same way you won’t let your toddler make the rules in your home. Even in India where they are protected they are a SEVERE nuisance. I watched a documentary on the monkey catchers of India and even they admit it’s not a battle they can win.

The concept of stealing is not something they understand, they understand taking something if they can, and accepting the consequences that comes with that. Much like the criminals in SA, they do what they are allowed to do, and usually take the easy pickings first. Just about the only thing you don’t do against monkeys or baboons is act without conviction, you don’t mock charge them, that is how you get people maimed or your child mauled one day.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    People simply don’t get it, they cannot be bargained or reasoned with, they follow their instinct in the exact manner nature created them, there is nothing wrong with them, they are what they are.
    Human society perfected luxury living, in general we have more than enough resources, for example a bowl full of apples is not something you will find in the wild, so monkey see monkey do.

You give them free reign and they accept it with open arms, the same way you won’t let your toddler make the rules in your home. Even in India where they are protected they are a SEVERE nuisance. I watched a documentary on the monkey catchers of India and even they admit it’s not a battle they can win.

The concept of stealing is not something they understand, they understand taking something if they can, and accepting the consequences that comes with that. Much like the criminals in SA, they do what they are allowed to do, and usually take the easy pickings first. Just about the only thing you don’t do against monkeys or baboons is act without conviction, you don’t mock charge them, that is how you get people maimed or your child mauled one day.
    For a large part of this post I thought you were talking about our current government.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast