Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Default Re: the CZ comparison (handgun)

The CZ75 as brilliant as it is an old design with some potential weaknesses.

User

Quote Originally Posted by destroyer View Post
    oh and just in question style why not the 75c?
    Because it's a heavy piece of steel, and as much as you may perhaps think "the weight is comforting" and "carrying a gun should be comforting not comfortable", it just has a bigger chance of becoming a MITS gun rather than an EDC gun.

User

Quote Originally Posted by M43 View Post
    Have you ever had to defend yourself by shooting the fuckers busy shooting at you? Have you done this on more than one occasion, and at least once with a shattered weak side arm, with a gun you have to de-cock before holstering?

I have.

Buying a "hammer gun" because "I like hammers / I'm ill informed / I'm ignorant / I believe I can fly" to use as an EDC tool to keep you alive instead of buying a striker fired pistol with exactly one type of trigger pull and exactly one drill to perform to holster it safely (Taking snot picker off trigger) is stupid. It has in fact been stupid since the early to mid 80's.

I have a preference for revolvers. But EDC is not about preference or what emotional crutch you get from a little extra lever on the gun. So I don't EDC a revolver or any of my "hammer guns"
    Again, whoah there buddy! Jeepers.

Maybe we can discuss/debate this rationally once you have calmed down.

User

Quote Originally Posted by OomD View Post
    Again, whoah there buddy! Jeepers.

Maybe we can discuss/debate this rationally once you have calmed down.
    He’s being very rational. You’re the one supporting feelings over reality.

So I’m going to suggest you pay attention to what M43 has to say. It was learned the hard way.

Being a “hammer guy” isn’t a thing. Unless you’re a carpenter. I know guys who make valid arguments for why they prefer DA/SA guns. They don’t say “I’m a hammer guy”

Quote Originally Posted by M43 View Post
    EDC gun has to be: (as in f&%$$#n MUST comply with the following criteria or you will NOT EDC it / Have to buy something else later on)
    1. Compact / concealable
    2. Reliable
    3. Resistant to your sweat / alien acid or whatever you ooze or excrete on a really hot day.
    4. Simple
    5. Have parts / holsters / accessories available already in your safe, not possibly in stock at a dealer.

The CZ75 Compact (As nice a gun as it is) fails 3 out of the 5. Its reliable and compact, but that's about it.
    I take it you would include mass into the compact concealable criteria?

In my view, these days, with the options we have, there is no need to even go for G19/P07 sized gun. I have seen guys (normal sized humans) EDC full sized pistols. One can often see it across the parking lot or see it in how they move. In SA, striker fired pistol no bigger (and preferably smaller) than a G19 sized gun for the win.

User

My phone doesn't want to format my post nicely :/.

Sorry if it's an unformatted mess

User

My 2c for going for the hammer fired route.

1. Get a model with a decocker, manual decocking under stress is going to suck.
    2. You should be able to decock with only one hand. Use your thumb in your hand holding the gun. If you can't do this, it means youn won't be able to do it if your other hand or arm is stuffed.
    3. Carry hammer down, safety off. The model you choose must be able to do this safely, ie it has a firing pin block and can't be bumped fired.
    4. Carry one up.
    5. Practice shooting both DA and SA.

Under stress you don't want to play with manual safeties and whatever else you going To forget and fumble with. Pull out, get your sights on sight, pull the trigger. Adding more steps than that is not needed when your brain is under pressure.

Striker fired is perfectly fine for edc. Most of them are also easier to use and understand.

I went for hammer fired because I liked the idea of having my thumb over the hammer reholstering. I like the idea that the first pull is heavier. But both of these things are not the only qualifying factors.

End of the day my advise is

1. Get something polymer
    2. Get a well supported brand
    3. Get a quality brand
    4. Learn how to use what you are getting and understand the advantages and disadvantages

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Being a “hammer guy” isn’t a thing. Unless you’re a carpenter. I know guys who make valid arguments for why they prefer DA/SA guns. They don’t say “I’m a hammer guy”
    BigT, just out of curiosity, what would these valid arguments be?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ikhwane View Post
    I take it you would include mass into the compact concealable criteria?

In my view, these days, with the options we have, there is no need to even go for G19/P07 sized gun. I have seen guys (normal sized humans) EDC full sized pistols. One can often see it across the parking lot or see it in how they move. In SA, striker fired pistol no bigger (and preferably smaller) than a G19 sized gun for the win.
    Yes. I missed that VERY important one. So its actually 2 out of 6 for the CZ 75 Compact...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Thing is, you really have to consider not just the gun in isolation, but the continued component and parts support for the gun you choose. That immediately puts a question mark over your HKs (regardless of how good the guns themselves are), and my perception of recent posts on here (take that for what it's worth) is that there recently were concerns of parts availability for CZ pistols too.

The reason so many people say "get a Glock" is NOT because they're fanboys (I tell people the same thing and I don't own a single Glock, I even think some Glock guns are silly) but because what you get in the total package (of which the gun is just a single part, even if you buy one of the Glocks I think is silly) is a very good overall solution to the overall problem of an EDC gun.

Glocks aside, there can be no argument that a striker fired gun is a better overall answer to the bigger EDC problem than a hammer fired gun. It's CARRYING the thing EVERY DAY. You may not think it now (and I know the hammer boys are gonna jump on me like wild dogs on a limp impala) but the fewer pointy bits your gun has, the easier it is to carry. Easy carry means less chance that the thing will become an MITS gun (Mostly In The Safe).
    This^^^

Look, I am a great CZ fanboy. My first gun was a CZ and I have (and still do) owned a bunch of them. And I think a Gock is the ugliest gun around, second only to a Gyrojet pistol.

That being said, there is a lot of good things to be said about a striker-fired EDC pistol. There is a reason why CZ has started making them too.

There are specials around at present with CZP10C and S&W M&P 2.0 going for rediculous prices. Grab the opportunity while it lasts.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast