Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Ostrich Behavior.

An ostrich faking an injury to lure a potential predator, me in this case, away from her newly hatched chicks.

https://i.imgur.com/VJEUlLP.mp4

User

Default Re: Ostrich Behavior.

What a show! 😂 Thanks for sharing T.

I'm kinda scared of them. When I was a boy, my gran had a male ostrich in a separate fenced camp. That thing must have been posessed and would always charge and attack the fence when you approached.

Quote Originally Posted by tobie View Post
    What a show!  Thanks for sharing T.

I'm kinda scared of them. When I was a boy, my gran had a male ostrich in a separate fenced camp. That thing must have been posessed and would always charge and attack the fence when you approached.
    I have been attacked by a domestic ostrich gone wild and ended up shooting him at very close range. Wild ostriches seem to be scared of people, I have never had a problem with one, even when (unknowingly) approaching a nesting bird.

Banned

Thanks for sharing. Great actress.

User

I learned something today. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Wow. Animals are not dumb.

I have Ostriches grazing with the sheep. I believe they help for protection against jackal. (4 and 2 legged kind.) They are tame up to now, but are curious and will approach people on foot in the camp to check them out. My kids are scared like hell of them. Intruders would not know they are tame though. In the dark their deterring effect is even better.

If they get aggressive, well, then we will just rotate them to camps were no human activity needs be like checking on sheep.

User

Nice T. Have seen similar behavior from yellowbill ducks.

It is a privilege to live on a farm where you can observe the wonderful behaviour of animal,birds, etc

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    I have been attacked by a domestic ostrich gone wild and ended up shooting him at very close range. Wild ostriches seem to be scared of people, I have never had a problem with one, even when (unknowingly) approaching a nesting bird.
    Did the Ostrich injure you? or did you shoot as it charged?

I've always heard that you should lie on your stomach to prevent disembowelment. I have also seen them become useless once you put a sock over their head. My grandfather did this when he captured/ sold them. When the sock covers their eyes, you can lead them around as you wish.

I forgot to mention that The crazed male Ostrich, was in an electrified camp. When he attacked the fence, you could hear the Electric fence snap, but that 10000 Volts had no effect.

User

In mating season the males legs goes bright red, that’s when they become aggressive. We had two and 90% of the time they were ok, but that 10% when the males hormones went into overdrive it was not pleasant.

We ended up giving them to our neighbors and now they walk in a camp with his springbuck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast