Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Ostrich Behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by tobie View Post
    Did the Ostrich injure you? or did you shoot as it charged?

I've always heard that you should lie on your stomach to prevent disembowelment.

He was charging me, he was two paces away when I put a bullet from a .300 win mag in him. He then lay down on his stomach...

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    He was charging me, he was two paces away when I put a bullet from a .300 win mag in him. He then lay down on his stomach...
    Your paces or his paces??

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Your paces or his paces??
    His paces. Still, it was way too close.

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    His paces. Still, it was way too close.
    At the rate those things move at full tilt, yeah....

The picture of the ostrich sliding to a halt, a-la a brain-shot charging buffalo is mildly amusing though I'm sure you didn't find it amusing at the time!

User

Not then no.

It didn't really charge at full tilt, there was a lot of wing flapping and posturing but it closed the distance fast enough to be worrying. I held off until I was sure it was not just trying to frighten me and then shot it. The farm owner was not happy but in the end, after a lot of explaining by me, my tracker and an American hunter, I didn't have to pay for it. The American really enjoyed the experience and said that he would happily have paid for the bird if necessary.

User

Being chased by an ostrich is no fun. While visiting family on a game farm, I had a meeting with a particularly aggressive male. I was warned of him, and what would happen if I shot him. Well needless to say I grossly underestimated his perseverance. Once the thing spotted me alone in the velt, even from over a kilometre, he came like a rabid elephant with a sore tooth.
    "The gods must be crazy" style, I placed my hat on my rifle barrel and held it above my head. This only made him pick up speed.
    I hoped that if I could get behind the only bush to the area, he'd not be able to see me and loose interest. That monster covered a thousand yards before I was even half way to my destination, behind the bush, eighty yards from me. With his neck flattened like a cobra, wings flapping like he was trying to fly, he started swearing at me. A sound that sounds like it's coming from a cross between a eagle owl and a hippo.
    I fired a shot into the ground next to the demon. He paused for about three seconds, allowing me to move closer to my place of refuge. Coming again at full tilt, I threw a half brick size rock at him. This paused him for a second, and so it went, all the way to the lonely little bush.
    When I got there I realized it was not going to work. He was too close and too tall, so I shot again into the ground hoping to scare him off, this had no effect. So now I was involved in a game of ring-a-rosy around the smallest little bush with wannabe T-Rex.
    When there were no more rocks to throw, I threw a stick. By some miracle I found this beast's nemesis. With this I herded him like Mary's little lamb all the way home, where I slipped in behind the fence to safety.
    Seemingly pleased, he fluffed his wings and strutted off like a highschool jock with boils in his armpits.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    Nice T. Have seen similar behavior from yellowbill ducks.
    Thick-knee (Dikkop) and kiewiet are also quite good at this.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Drakensberger View Post
    Being chased by an ostrich is no fun. While visiting family on a game farm, I had a meeting with a particularly aggressive male. I was warned of him, and what would happen if I shot him. Well needless to say I grossly underestimated his perseverance. Once the thing spotted me alone in the velt, even from over a kilometre, he came like a rabid elephant with a sore tooth.
    "The gods must be crazy" style, I placed my hat on my rifle barrel and held it above my head. This only made him pick up speed.
    I hoped that if I could get behind the only bush to the area, he'd not be able to see me and loose interest. That monster covered a thousand yards before I was even half way to my destination, behind the bush, eighty yards from me. With his neck flattened like a cobra, wings flapping like he was trying to fly, he started swearing at me. A sound that sounds like it's coming from a cross between a eagle owl and a hippo.
    I fired a shot into the ground next to the demon. He paused for about three seconds, allowing me to move closer to my place of refuge. Coming again at full tilt, I threw a half brick size rock at him. This paused him for a second, and so it went, all the way to the lonely little bush.
    When I got there I realized it was not going to work. He was too close and too tall, so I shot again into the ground hoping to scare him off, this had no effect. So now I was involved in a game of ring-a-rosy around the smallest little bush with wannabe T-Rex.
    When there were no more rocks to throw, I threw a stick. By some miracle I found this beast's nemesis. With this I herded him like Mary's little lamb all the way home, where I slipped in behind the fence to safety.
    Seemingly pleased, he fluffed his wings and strutted off like a highschool jock with boils in his armpits.
    Thanks for sharing.

User

The chicks have hatched. Two day old ostrich, they are difficult to capture on film (or sd card) as they never stand still and are not quite as tall as the grass. An average brood here is ±12 chicks and amazingly almost all of them reach adulthood. Wild ostriches are excellent parents.

Banned

Bit of a misnomer as I did not see any chase. The behavior of the ostrich is a duplicate of what you have filmed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2