Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: RMR Slide Cut... But where??

Having been held up at gunpoint twice this year on my way to- or from work, I prefer to not have my gun otherwise engaged for 3+ weeks.

I have a CNC machine, would have been so easy to do if it was legal.

Has anyone tried these guys? Their work seems good from the pictures. http://salaserengraving.co.za/gallery/

I guess I could also wait for Guy to quiet down in the new year.

But this optic needs to go lower
    g19x RMR.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Stockbridge, Stockbridge and Stockbridge: Gun Plumbers Extraordinaire.

They get my vote too...

And I'm only joking about the angle-grinder... or am I???
    I tried to google and search the forum, I can't find stockbridge anywhere. Do you have a link or number?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone101 View Post
    I tried to google and search the forum, I can't find stockbridge anywhere. Do you have a link or number?
    They are the gunsmiths at MRST I believe.

Banned

Having been held up at gunpoint twice this year on my way to- or from work, I prefer to not have my gun otherwise engaged for 3+ weeks.

Has anyone tried these guys? Their work seems good from the pictures. http://salaserengraving.co.za/gallery/

g19x RMR.jpg
    SA laser engraving and cerakote are tops.
    Look them up on Facebook.
    They are doing all the slide milling, including cutouts and undercuts and stippling for Dave Sheer or Spartan arms.
    I got a price of R1500 for slide milling from them at this year's huntex

Banned

They did a fantastic 2 tone cerakote job on my Cz

User

g19x RMR.jpg

Get a spare gun. You need one anyway.

Then you can get the gun cut by someone who’s biggest selling point isn’t fast.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Get a spare gun. You need one anyway.

Then you can get the gun cut by someone who’s biggest selling point isn’t fast.
    Knowing the process involved quite well, I would prefer to have it done quickly on a CNC Mill, as opposed to by hand by a skilled machinist. There should be no difference in quality, in fact the CNC process is more reliable and consistent.

MRST is great, I know Guy and have seen the shop and the work they do, but this is nothing complicated or one-off.
    I know of at least two other people who want this done, but don't want to wait as long. Seems like gun smiths are a bit of a dinosaur in SA.

I will keep looking 'till I find someone with a more modern approach, and report on my findings. I know others will benefit.
    Last edited by Cyclone101; 18-11-2019 at 20:25. Reason: damn speling...

User

Honestly, I believe you're approaching this from the wrong angle. That machining job isn't rocket surgery. It doesn't need to be done on a CNC machine, so "holding out" for someone that can do it on a CNC seems... not clever...

But as has been stated quite clearly before (and as has been confirmed by your post regarding your 2 previous incidents) what you need more than a milled slide on your current gun is a second gun. Because chances are you'll need to use the one you have, after which there is every chance that the gun will be confiscated for ballistic testing. If you don't have a backup to carry you'll be defenceless until you get your gun back. So rather plan ahead, start the process on a second gun ASAP, and if your not... not clever... about it, buy a MOS gun right off the bat and avoid a repeat of having to find someone to mod it.

User

Good thing we can sell you a replacement slide pretty easily. Not cheaply. But easily.

User

Knowing the process involved quite well, I would prefer to have it done quickly on a CNC Mill, as opposed to by hand by a skilled machinist. There should be no difference in quality, in fact the CNC process is more reliable and consistent.

MRST is great, I know Guy and have seen the shop and the work they do, but this is nothing complicated or one-off.
    I know of at least two other people who want this done, but don't want to wait as long. Seems like gun smiths are a bit of a dinosaur in SA.

I will keep looking 'till I find someone with a more modern approach, and report on my findings. I know others will benefit.
    I suspect BigT meant their selling point isnt based on they do the job fast as in turn around time, not referring to how long they actually take to mill the slide once your job card is pulled...

It might take them 10 minutes do it, but because they do a good job in 10 minutes, there are 100 people in front of you willing to wait for them to spend the 10 minutes on their slide.

I doubt they actually take 3 weeks to do the slide... 1 file stroke every hour, on the hour, for 3 weeks straight

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast