Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Malawi

User

Default Malawi

Has anyone been there recently. Better yet, lived there.

Please share you're experiences.

User

Default Re: Malawi

No idea how the country is, but I've worked with two guys from there. Really nice and genuine people. Hard working. Dealt with a company based there in previous job via email and conference calls on a large IT project. Generally nice people. I think economy there is hard though.

Not recently but 2 years ago was up there for 3 months for work. Awesome place hot as hell and mosquito ridden, but safe besides petty theft(laptop and cellphone stolen day before I left). Petrol and diesel was at the time a few rands more then here. Hit up Cape Maclear great snorkling ect there with the ciclids and all that.They have Standard Bank atms and most SA cards work but theres daily limits so we would use three or four cards to get enough kwachas out for trips.
    They have a saying there that its the warm heart of africa and it really is just ja careful how you deal with the locals they often get a forward if they can help you for a buck so just politely refuse.

Oh and have your valid drivers and passport on you at all times roadblocks are common and permanent checkpoints will ask for triangles and reflective vests ect ect. Stick to the harsh speed limits too☺

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Had a few Malawi people working on the farm over the years. All of them had a culture of "Law and Order". Friendly, honest, polite etc. They told me that crime in Malawi is controlled. Law and order still have a place there. It is a poor country though.

User

Quote Originally Posted by FantomBadger View Post
    Has anyone been there recently. Better yet, lived there.

Please share you're experiences.
    All the guys we've met have been well educated, well mannered and hard working, basically the complete opposite to the south african guys they were working with
    However they all did explain in great length the levels of poverty and lack of infastructure there, most of their families survive on fishing

User

We are moving to Lilongwe in January. Really excited.

I didn't spend much time in Lilongwe, much of it is run down and old,met some saffers who had been building there in the 70's who just stayed on. Spent the bulk of our in the central of the country in Salima next to the lake and in Blantyre in the south. Prefered the south was cooler around Mt Mulanje, beautiful old tea farming estates and some old rainforests still left. African Parks has taken over the reserve in the south so yea theres game again which we didn't get so see but you're close to Zambia also a great place!
    If I'm lucky we will visit Angola soon too. Countries north of us are getting thier shit together there is lots of oppertunities opening up.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Quote Originally Posted by Snapcap View Post
    I didn't spend much time in Lilongwe, much of it is run down and old,met some saffers who had been building there in the 70's who just stayed on. Spent the bulk of our in the central of the country in Salima next to the lake and in Blantyre in the south. Prefered the south was cooler around Mt Mulanje, beautiful old tea farming estates and some old rainforests still left. African Parks has taken over the reserve in the south so yea theres game again which we didn't get so see but you're close to Zambia also a great place!
    If I'm lucky we will visit Angola soon too. Countries north of us are getting thier shit together there is lots of oppertunities opening up.
    They getting their shit together because of the gross incompetence and looting by the ANC. The destruction of RSA by the ANC in the last 10 years will take 60-70 to get over.
    live out your imagination , not your history.

Quote Originally Posted by KK20 View Post
    They getting their shit together because of the gross incompetence and looting by the ANC. The destruction of RSA by the ANC in the last 10 years will take 60-70 to get over.
    The destruction hasn't stopped yet though, has it?

Sent from my BV6100 using Tapatalk
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast