Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Malawi

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Default Re: Malawi

Unfortunately WZ what we got was the thin end of the wedge. Went out recently for a short hike to my favorite place and for years one could drink the water from the source and now raw sewage was dumped into it..
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User

Quote Originally Posted by KK20 View Post
    They getting their shit together because of the gross incompetence and looting by the ANC. The destruction of RSA by the ANC in the last 10 years will take 60-70 to get over.
    As people say, with democracy, as a nation we get the government we deserve.

Reality is that the government we get is really only being elected to where they are due to having hooked masses on welfare.

User

Today we finalised the formalities. We are leaving on the 6th of January.

User

Quote Originally Posted by FantomBadger View Post
    Today we finalised the formalities. We are leaving on the 6th of January.
    Congrats!

Out of curiosity what are you guys doing there for work?

Wonderful country, I lived there for many years. Be careful of malaria.

User

Best of luck

User

So it has been a bit more than 5 months since our young family relocated to Malawi.

It is a very pleasant place to live. Lots to do if you don't mind driving a bit. The roads are generally the same quality as in South Africa's rural areas. Roads are very narrow and you share that narrow road with lots of people on bicycles and run down motorbikes. It is not uncommon to see three people on a bike going at 40 in the middle of the Malawian equivalent of the N1. Helmets are also a rare sight.

There has been some unrests relating to the prior years elections, but the courts has deemed that a new election needs to take place in the next month or so and people are generally happy with the outcome.

The lake, although fantastic, is very dirty in some places with food scraps, paper and bags washing up on the shore. There are still some places around where it is very clean. The area around Cape Maclear takes cleaning up quite seriously and it is generally a lot cleaner than around Salima. You don't see nearly as much trash in and around the streets as you'd expect.

We've been to Liwonde National Park a few weeks back and it is a breathtaking place to visit. Waking up to the sounds of hippos, elephants and fish eagles.

The police are mostly very accomodating to foreigners and are quick to share their countries great history with you. We were once stuck at a roadblock for more than half an hour with the officer telling us about his family.

People are very very family centered and mothers and children are very important in society.

The most important thing is that we have not felt unsafe at all since moving here. Medical care is more than adequate for common illnesses. Malaria is well treated here.

All in all a very pleasant place to live in.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Glad to hear you safe and enjoying it there.
    Keep us updated.
    live out your imagination , not your history.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FantomBadger View Post
    So it has been a bit more than 5 months since our young family relocated to Malawi.

It is a very pleasant place to live. Lots to do if you don't mind driving a bit. The roads are generally the same quality as in South Africa's rural areas. Roads are very narrow and you share that narrow road with lots of people on bicycles and run down motorbikes. It is not uncommon to see three people on a bike going at 40 in the middle of the Malawian equivalent of the N1. Helmets are also a rare sight.

There has been some unrests relating to the prior years elections, but the courts has deemed that a new election needs to take place in the next month or so and people are generally happy with the outcome.

The lake, although fantastic, is very dirty in some places with food scraps, paper and bags washing up on the shore. There are still some places around where it is very clean. The area around Cape Maclear takes cleaning up quite seriously and it is generally a lot cleaner than around Salima. You don't see nearly as much trash in and around the streets as you'd expect.

We've been to Liwonde National Park a few weeks back and it is a breathtaking place to visit. Waking up to the sounds of hippos, elephants and fish eagles.

The police are mostly very accomodating to foreigners and are quick to share their countries great history with you. We were once stuck at a roadblock for more than half an hour with the officer telling us about his family.

People are very very family centered and mothers and children are very important in society.

The most important thing is that we have not felt unsafe at all since moving here. Medical care is more than adequate for common illnesses. Malaria is well treated here.

All in all a very pleasant place to live in.
    Great to hear.
    If you don't mind me asking, what line of work are you in?

I lived in Cape McClear for many years. Best years of my life. Its an awesome country.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast