Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Carrying Different rounds in the same mag

Ok so I have 2 situations which Im pretty sure are shitty ideas but I might get in to a friendly argument with the people who do this and I would like to prove thats its a shitty idea

First situation: Carrying a mag Mixed with Winchester Ranger T’s and Hornadys, im not even sure which grains but id like to help the person in the right direction.

Second situation: some of my friends carry a FMJ as the first round in their mag/chamber in case they need to shoot through the windshield of the car, then the rest of the ammo are high performance hollow points.

The second situation I would like to also help them in the right direction but not as nicely as the first one because they are my friends and im an ass hole....

So could anyone with more knowledge please give me some answers on why its a kak idea to carry different types of ammo in the same mag, all 9mmP, unless its not a kak idea, then im just an ass hole I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: Carrying Different rounds in the same mag

I don't see any rationale regarding the person in the first situation. Why mix the rounds? There just isn't a perceptible benefit to do so. And a likely drawback would be that there is less shot to shot consistency when shooting.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Steven001 View Post

Second situation: some of my friends carry a FMJ as the first round in their mag/chamber in case they need to shoot through the windshield of the car, then the rest of the ammo are high performance hollow points.
    What if you need to shoot through the window with the second, or third, or fourth shot?
    We have shatterproof windows in SA, it's not like the first round is going to knock it out and then you'll not be shooting through a barrier after that.

OR, what if your attacker is 2m from you and you need to stop the thread from the word go, now you sit with FMJ ammo.

Focus on the perceived advantage these people talk about, and then try and logically defend that view.

User

Modern premium hollow points work better through windscreens than fmj’s.

Modern JHP is designed to be “barrier blind”, ie not be affected by something like a windscreen. FMJ on its own actually performs pretty poorly against windscreens, deforming and therefore deflecting badly from the POA.

Smartieboxing your mag is stupid. There’s no way in hell you’re going to remember which round is where once the shooting starts, and there is no advantage to having different rounds stacked into an order based on a pre-conceived scenario.

If you want the option of FMJ available to you, keep them in a separate mag.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    Modern JHP is designed to be “barrier blind”, ie not be affected by something like a windscreen. FMJ on its own actually performs pretty poorly against windscreens, deforming and therefore deflecting badly from the POA.

Smartieboxing your mag is stupid. There’s no way in hell you’re going to remember which round is where once the shooting starts, and there is no advantage to having different rounds stacked into an order based on a pre-conceived scenario.
    +1 on this! Solid advice!

No way to predict the scenario in advance .

Carry the best you can afford, because if it fails when you need it, you'll never need it again.

User

What messor said.

Regardless of which type of ammo goes through a windscreen better, it is a moot point unless you believe that you 2nd and followup shots are going to go through the same 9mm hole the first bullet made. Same with car doors etc...

Even plain non shatter proof glass like a house window will not completly fall apart and disintegrate when shot will a bullet.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

User

Quality JHP work better through autoglass than FMJ...

Autoglass is a standard part of the fbi&wba testing. You can get the pictures of Ranger T through barriers on tge website

Every person that I have come across who carries FMJ as their first round for the reason set out above has been incapable of hitting a barn from the inside with any degree of consistency, nevermind being able to put 2 rounds through the same hole in the dark, at a moving target while under threat.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast