Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Spekboom for dinner?

to make meat in a lab, you need the protein building blocks, amino acids. Now they have to come from somewhere, sometimes animal sources.
    Just seems odd to me that people think this is fantastic technology.

What I do find fascinating is that you can put sheep in a field of grass, make sure they have some access to drinking water and they will make a lot more than a bit of meat.

User

So, after reading this, I walked over to my garden spekboom. Mmm...lets just say I'll stick with meat for a while to come.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

User

Spekboom is part of the CAM family of plants. Can means crassuliac Acid Metabolism. Which means they use different carbon pathways for synthesizing carbohydrates. The leaves can therefore be bitter at one point if the day and sour at another depending at what point of production the tree is in.

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Spekboom is part of the CAM family of plants. Can means crassuliac Acid Metabolism. Which means they use different carbon pathways for synthesizing carbohydrates. The leaves can therefore be bitter at one point if the day and sour at another depending at what point of production the tree is in.
    That's interesting.
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

User

Not tried my Spekboom yet, But I have been adding "Postelien" to my salads once I got my gardener to leave this weed alone...

First saw mention of the vegetable in our "huisgenoot kook en geniet" (you - kook and enjoy) this sent me on a journey of discovery and lead to my very successful and easy cultivation of this plant. All you have to do is not pulle them out when they pop up.
    On my original searches I found that it's stacked with vitamins and supposedly the plant with the highest concentration of Omega 3... Tastes much like lettuce with slightly spongy texture.

Most of the info I'm getting is from the Netherlands https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postelein

User

User

Quote Originally Posted by NIBOR View Post
    Today for the first time in my life i saw vegan cold meat. And i cant help to wonder how much crap they had to mix into that shit to make it look like cold meat.

And why the f. Do vegans wanna eat something that looks like meat if they dont want to eat meat????

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Alot of it has to do with saving the environement etc

So in their minds if people don't eat actual meat, the commercial farming (USA style) decreases through decreased demand, greenhouse gases etc decrease

Look I'm no vegan, but if it tastes good I'll eat it

I am also for being human, and some of the USA/CHINA commercial farming (if you can call it farming) is ridiculous

User

Spekboom appears to make a very good fire-break if planted in a row. I wonder if you eat enough you might become "fire resistant".

User

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    I wonder if you eat enough you might become "fire resistant".
    Probably.
    Because you won't be invited to anymore braai's.

Banned

Heard on RSG this afternoon that somebody is planning to plant 1 million spekboom trees by 2025.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast