Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Muzzle brake installation

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    The crush washer serves to index the brake and lock it in position. A harder shim will not necessarily lock it. If it comes loose in use there could be some problems.
    Shim sets Come with different thickness shims. You add shims until the part of the brake that has to be timed at 12 o clock sits at 11 o clock when hand tightened.

The last part is done with a wrench so the timing is at 12 o clock. I really doubt that it will come loose very easily, 1 or 2 drops of loctite will ensure it stays in place.

Shims also keep the muzzle device straight where a crush washer sets it off at an angle, a very very tiny angle, but still not straight.

Nobody uses or sells shim sets?

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

User

How thick is the crush washer then?

On my brake, for a bolt gun, I turned a brass spacer and then filed it by hand until it timed just right. Can help you with the same, if you are willing to bring it to Randburg one evening or weekend.

User

Quote Originally Posted by LoopSoosStroop View Post
    How thick is the crush washer then?

On my brake, for a bolt gun, I turned a brass spacer and then filed it by hand until it timed just right. Can help you with the same, if you are willing to bring it to Randburg one evening or weekend.
    No idea, arent they all pretty standard? If it leaves such a big gap the installer could have tightened it more but didn't?

Ill keep that in mind thank you very much for the offer!!

User

If I had a vise and an Ar15 vise Block I could probably do it myself but I dont have either.

Any suggestions as to where I can go in or around Centurion for help with this?

User

Shootingstuff. Roscommon Rd. They should have the correct tools and probably know how to use them...vs. one or two other places I can think of.

User

Hailstorm are also a good option. If I had to have anything done to an AR involving modifications or "Armourer" type disassembly I would choose Hailstorm or Shootingstuff.

User

Thank you M43, appreciate it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    The crush washer serves to index the brake and lock it in position. A harder shim will not necessarily lock it. If it comes loose in use there could be some problems.
    I am interested to know how you think and crush washer locks a brake into position.

Would you not agree that's a soft ductile material has less spring in it to maintain tension (as a spring washer does).

I am not arguing that a crush washer is not the correct way to mount a brake just that I think shims (or peel washers like some use) will be no less secure than a crush washer.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRookie View Post
    Shim sets Come with different thickness shims. You add shims until the part of the brake that has to be timed at 12 o clock sits at 11 o clock when hand tightened.

The last part is done with a wrench so the timing is at 12 o clock. I really doubt that it will come loose very easily, 1 or 2 drops of loctite will ensure it stays in place.

Shims also keep the muzzle device straight where a crush washer sets it off at an angle, a very very tiny angle, but still not straight.

Nobody uses or sells shim sets?

Crush washers are used because the torque and timing is much simpler than with other methods.

As you said shims will do the job but imo you are going to need a special shim set with timing shim to get the right torque and timing combination.

Another option is a peel washer.

Imo locktite (or most of them) will go soft and lose adhesion under the extreme heat that is generated in the brake area.

The right product to thread lock the brake to use for the application would be Rockset.

User

Quote Originally Posted by DS View Post
    Crush washers are used because the torque and timing is much simpler than with other methods.

As you said shims will do the job but imo you are going to need a special shim set with timing shim to get the right torque and timing combination.

Another option is a peel washer.

Imo locktite (or most of them) will go soft and lose adhesion under the extreme heat that is generated in the brake area.

The right product to thread lock the brake to use for the application would be Rockset.
    Thanks DS.

Im taking it to Arms so that they can assess it and decide on how to get it done right, Rescomp is the next option.

Are these guys good at what they do?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast