Default Traveling to South Africa and carrying a handgun

I know there's a thread that concerns this but I have read through many and am still left a little confused. I may be traveling to SA in the future and would like to carry a handgun for defensive purposes while there. How would I go about doing this? As I'm sure there is a thread that already covers this that I have overlooked please point me in the right direction. Many thanks guys.

Default Re: Traveling to South Africa and carrying a handgun

ARSC;

Welcome aboard!

Please introduce yourself, we'd like to know more about you if you will tell us.

PM me...I live in the states...for info on temp. importation but realize that self defense is not considered a justifiable reason to bring a firearm to South Africa since 2004, and you will not be issued a permit for that purpose.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

Hi Ikor, I have a friend who would also like to bring firearms into the country from time to time when he visits (he comes here for a few weeks 2 or 3 times ayear) so if possible could you put it on this thread. Thanks

User

The bottom line is that a visitor can apply for a Section 21 permit for hunting or sport shooting. He will need a letter of invitation from his hunting outfitter or the local sport shooting association here in SA with which he is a member or to which he is affiliated.

It is advised to apply well in advance for a pre-approved Section 21 Permit less the application is turned down when he applies at his arrival in SA. It is also much more streamlined for the visitor at the SAPS office at the airport of entry if he arrives with a pre-approved hunting or sport shooting permit waiting for him.

There are agents who handle the applications for the pre-approved Section 21 permits (and meet the clients/visitors at the airport and guide them through the SAPS process) for a fee, and imo it is well worth paying the fee and getting the job done before the visitor arrives.

Does anyone have the name of one of the agents who handles section 21 permits and any shooting association in the Pietermaritzburg area which I could join for this purpose? I would love to be able to bring my guns on the holiday and go through a few practical shooting courses in South Africa.

User

Hey UltraMange

Im in pmb. can you please specify where in pmb you headed. I can point you to all the right people in the SAPS. In pmb you will be jerked around :( unless u you the right people.

W
    I hack for charity, Shoot for fun!

Hilton