Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default The Role of the AR Pistol

I've been wondering about this for some time so figured I'd do a bit of Googling and then take the discussion further here.

https://www.wingtactical.com/wing-ta...ar-15-pistols/

https://www.usacarry.com/top-7-reasons-ar-pistol/

In the US there's a lot of back-and-forth about when a brace becomes a stock and how that relates to what's an AR, an SBR or a pistol - and now there's the AR pistol too.

For us in good ol' RSA what would a typical use-case be for an AR-pistol? Given that we don't - to my knowledge - have anything in the FCA about stock vs brace licensing one shouldn't be an issue (all things being equal) but why would someone choose an AR-pistol over, say, an SBR or PCC?

User

Default Re: The Role of the AR Pistol

As far as I can see braces are an NFA work around, I doubt they'd make a difference in SA

User

The only reason for AR pistols in the states is to get around, legally, the 16” minimum barrel length for rifles.

Anything shorter requires a tax stamp which is expensive and takes a long time. The same goes with suppressors.

With our laws there is no need for AR braces as we have no restrictions on barrel length.

User

I'm sure the CFR don't have a caliber code for a 223 caliber pistol anyway.

User

What is the legal definition between a handgun and a rifle in SA? I haven't been able to find it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pdh View Post
    The only reason for AR pistols in the states is to get around, legally, the 16” minimum barrel length for rifles.

Anything shorter requires a tax stamp which is expensive and takes a long time. The same goes with suppressors.

With our laws there is no need for AR braces as we have no restrictions on barrel length.
    From what I've read its a combination of barrel length and overall length as well, no? I think the overall length parameter is 24".

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Not sure about the strict legal definition. Have quickly checked. Cannot find a part in the law describing it, but was a hasty scan.

But you will not get a "AR Pistol" licensed as a handgun in RSA. It would be a SLR.

From the FCA:

‘handgun' means a pistol or revolver which can be held in and discharged with one hand

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    From the FCA:

‘handgun' means a pistol or revolver which can be held in and discharged with one hand
    Et voila! AR pistol!

User

I would rather not have CFR trying to figure out what an AR pistol is. I think it would be to gun owners detriment

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast