Thread: Travel safe

User

Default Travel safe

I see on ebay small travel safe for a handgun. Basically a padded lockbox with stainless cable to hook around a solid object.

YES, I know first prize is not locking your SD pistol away. But in my case we their is sometime 6 children under 4 in the house and at times I need to be in the pool or asleep and I cannot leave my pistol unguard.

Do we have something like this in SA?

Thanks all

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: Travel safe

I doubt something like this will be legal here

Why not just put it away in a proper safe? To me it would be the same as whatever contraption this is.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

User

I'm of the opinion that anything is better than nothing.

Yes, the law states essentially that your firearm must be locked in an approved safe when not under your direct control, but unforseen situations do arise when one doesn't have access to an approved safe but you also can't have the firearm under your direct control. Anyone who doesn't recognise that fact has blinkers on. Like so many other parts of the FCA and associated regulations, that part is badly thought through and written because it doesn't allow for anything other than those 2 options.

Some people seem to apply the logic that "neither legal option is available therefore do nothing". I think that's daft and believe that one should rather apply something like: "OK, neither legal option is available so lets look for the closest practical alternative".

In such a situation I think that you should do the best you can, even if not strictly in compliance with the FCA. At least if it's temporarily secured in a so-called "travel safe" or anything similar (even a locked cupboard to which you have the key) it will prevent somebody from casually picking it up while unattended.

I think that a court would look far more favourably on someone that had made the best practical attempt he could to secure his firearm by temporarily locking it away in a non-approved way than they would on somebody that had left his firearm lying on the table next to the braai while he was having a swim. Reasonable man test and all that stuff.

It goes without saying however that such a travel safe would not be acceptable as your main safe that you use to secure your firearm at home and it also wouldn't be acceptable for anything more than temporarily securing the firearm.

User

I once looked at those speed safes for when I sleep, but the price is nauseating, I also have a child, and I am all ready teaching her that daddys gun is not a toy, I will take her to witness me shooting as as soon as possible.

My solution to keep the gun out of her or her friends reach is by keeping it on me at ALL TIMES, of course then what about when we sleep? I put a floating shelf on each side of the bed, very high up and very "out of place" and inaccessible, it kinda looks dumb but it works, but I ONLY keep my gun on there when sleeping.

Ask for swimming, I unload the round from the chamber, re-insert the magazine (in case the SHTF) and then put it in a small backpack next to the pool so that its still under my direct control, but not loaded in case my observations slip up and a kid does manage to take it out the bag, the would still have to perform another action before it can go bang.

I really dont like keeping my gun unloaded because I am use to carrying one in the chamber and I practice and train like that.

User

I have seen such a safe at my LGS, it has a bracelet that you keep on your arm to unlock. Was about R3k I think. Can't remember the name now.

It does not conform to the FCA requirements though.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk