Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: How do you hunt in your part of the world?

I have hunted poland a couple of times now. Once was an organised driven hunt with about 20 hunters. Lets just say i understand now why they wear the orange, with that many hunters in a small area and shooting running animals it does not quite live up to the FA safety my dad beat into me. The whole experience was wonderful though satrting early morning with ritualistic hunting prayers and the blow of a horn then being moved from area to area by slay. Lunch was organised around a banquet type table in the middle of the forest by the woman felt like a asterix cartoon. I did freeze my ass of as we were about knee deep in snow the whole time.
    Hunting was for boar, roe deer and red deer. Once the hunters are in place surrounding a area the beaters and dogs are sent in and as the animals start running out it starts sounding like a saturday night in muldersdrift. It really was an experience. Most popular rifles was cz rifles in 308, 30-06 and 7x 64 there was also a couple of combination guns.
    The other times were solo walk and stalk hunts. I was given permission by the local game warden and he lent me a 308 as well. It was summer and only roedeer bucks was on the menu. The local game warden is in charge of his area of forest and has authority to give out qoutas for hunting season he is responsible for animal life in his forest as well as timber harvesting this type of hunting is free as long as the warden has given permission and is notified off kills.
    I put a whole roe (they are small animals) into a traditional african style potjie amd invited everyone on the street for a potjie dinner. It was such a hit i had the locals lining up for the recipe. (Like potjiekos has a recipe😬)

Hunting is big in rural poland and a very cultural experience.
    I hope to next time i am there do some pheasant hunting.
    Also did some awesome pike fishing while i was there, pretty cool

User

Quote Originally Posted by gertjie87 View Post
    I have hunted poland a couple of times now. Once was an organised driven hunt with about 20 hunters. Lets just say i understand now why they wear the orange, with that many hunters in a small area and shooting running animals it does not quite live up to the FA safety my dad beat into me. The whole experience was wonderful though satrting early morning with ritualistic hunting prayers and the blow of a horn then being moved from area to area by slay. Lunch was organised around a banquet type table in the middle of the forest by the woman felt like a asterix cartoon. I did freeze my ass of as we were about knee deep in snow the whole time.
    Hunting was for boar, roe deer and red deer. Once the hunters are in place surrounding a area the beaters and dogs are sent in and as the animals start running out it starts sounding like a saturday night in muldersdrift. It really was an experience. Most popular rifles was cz rifles in 308, 30-06 and 7x 64 there was also a couple of combination guns.
    The other times were solo walk and stalk hunts. I was given permission by the local game warden and he lent me a 308 as well. It was summer and only roedeer bucks was on the menu. The local game warden is in charge of his area of forest and has authority to give out qoutas for hunting season he is responsible for animal life in his forest as well as timber harvesting this type of hunting is free as long as the warden has given permission and is notified off kills.
    I put a whole roe (they are small animals) into a traditional african style potjie amd invited everyone on the street for a potjie dinner. It was such a hit i had the locals lining up for the recipe. (Like potjiekos has a recipe)

Hunting is big in rural poland and a very cultural experience.
    I hope to next time i am there do some pheasant hunting.
    Also did some awesome pike fishing while i was there, pretty cool
    I am green with envy! It's a constant struggle to get oppertunities like that.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    I have guided a few German clients on hunts in South Africa and your rituals and respect shown to the hunted animals is wonderful.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Could you maybe explain the traditional ritual and the reasoning behind it to forum members?
    Will do. I'll try and write a detailed post concerning all the traditions over Christmas.

User

This is a pretty good video, and in English. :)

A couple of notes:

1. Most shooting ranges here are indoors. There are very few open ranges, and even fewer ranges longer than 100m.

2. Those shooting kinos are quite nice, but rather expensive to rent. The going rate for the one closest to me, was €100 per hour the last time I checked. It may be more now.

3. Luck plays a big role, as does the boar population density in the hunting area. Where I hunt, it's mostly a lot of waiting while the 30 plus guns on the drive keep an eye out for the two pigs in the area. Boring as hell for the most part, but the social after the hunt is also quite nice.

User

Sorocrates

As you probably will remember I'm in France. Here we also do driven hunts. The area that I live in is quite mountainous. Here we have less high chairs. There are loads of valleys etc. So they decide on the lines and we either drive up or walk up to our spots. The area that gets hi Ted is HUGE! I've had guys more than 4 km from me but could still see them because they were on top of a mountain.

This season I only shot one boar. Thus far. I'm having a lot less luck than last year. Also my posts are less good because want me to "close the hunt" because they saw I could shoot far. Also just bad luck. A few times now I was supposed to have a certain spot but it got changed at the last moment. Then I see nothing but the guy that got my spot shoots a few. Hope it changes very bloody soon.

Calibres used are mostly 9.3x62, 9,3x74, 30-06, 300 wm and 270. And shotguns. All in semi automatic limited to 3 shots. I'm the only guy to have a lock action rifle.

If you are ever in the South of France send me a pm. I'll invite you for a hunt.

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    I have guided a few German clients on hunts in South Africa and your rituals and respect shown to the hunted animals is wonderful.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Could you maybe explain the traditional ritual and the reasoning behind it to forum members?
    The book Jagdliches Brauchtum 'hunting traditions' has all of the traditional German hunting traditions.
    I am not sure if it was ever translated into English or any other language.

I have my Opa's copy by Walter Frevert printed in the 1930's.

It even has the horn music scores for the hunt,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2