my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Default December 6, 1906 Self government is granted to the Transvaal

The Transvaal Colony, former Zuid-Afrikaansche Republiek (ZAR) or Transvaal Republic, was granted self-government status by Britain, according to the terms of the Vereeniging Peace Treaty, signed between representatives of the two Boer Republics and Britain on 31 May 1902. The implementation of this term was precipitated by the replacement of the Conservative government in Britain by the Liberal administration in 1906. Transvaal was followed by the Orange River Colony in 1907. One of the clauses of the Vereeniging Peace Treaty (1902) gave the White people in the conquered Transvaal and the Orange Free State the right to decide whether or not to extend the parliamentary franchise to Black South African's. The Boers decided not to, and Blacks were excluded from the vote.
    References

Kruger, D.W. (ed)(1979). Geskiedenis van Suid-Afrika; verwerk en bygewerk deur D.W. Kruger; 3de bygewerkte uitg., Goodwood, Cape Town: NASOU, p. 457.|Wallis, F. (2000). Nuusdagboek: feite en fratse oor 1000 jaar, Kaapstad: Human & Rousseau.|Oliver, R. and Atmore, A. Africa since 1800. google books online. books.google.co.za
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Default Re: December 6, 1906 Self government is granted to the Transvaal

Thanks for these snippets of history KK, wasn’t it around this time the British Garrison was also withdrawn from SA?
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

Banned

What were the prerequisites to obtain voting rights back then?

What were the rules regarding voting rights for other ethnic/racial groups?

The British made foreigners leave and Basically told the dictated what should be done. They took care manking sure that all power was in the hands of the British and let the 'so called" Boers left "self govern"
    It was like a Apartheid Regimes Bantustan independence.
    Read that article carefully and how it was worded. " White people decided but the Boers chose to exclude Blacks" Considering the fact that the Boers lived in a community with people from all over the world in harmony and all of a sudden they side with the British that killed their families and salted the earth and kicked out the Indian business men that funded the families left behind , lent money to Krugers war effort and chased off the Blacks that had the vote in the ZA? Sounds like BS doesn't it?
    Last edited by KK20; 08-12-2019 at 00:18.

Quote Originally Posted by CorditeCrazy View Post
    Thanks for these snippets of history KK, wasn’t it around this time the British Garrison was also withdrawn from SA?
    Another very controversial topic this and a bug up my ass. We hear of all the heroics of Canadians and the Australians in the ABW but never hear of the largest group of military men after those from Britain. ( A topic for another thread if I can put up with the resistance to these facts)

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Quote Originally Posted by KK20 View Post
    Another very controversial topic this and a bug up my ass. We hear of all the heroics of Canadians and the Australians in the ABW but never hear of the largest group of military men after those from Britain. ( A topic for another thread if I can put up with the resistance to these facts)
    Please put it up, history tends to be slanted closer to the event to play towards a narrative. It’s only many years after the fact that one can really start to pick it apart, for the sake of historical accuracy and no other reason. I also feel one should look at history as objectively as possible, especially in the broad context. Often individual history is personal and emotional, but this can cloud a holistic view.

Discussions about history is best done around a fire, with good whiskey and a smoke.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.