Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: ANGLO BOER WAR: From the siege of the port of Sevastopol, Crimea to Girl Guides of Ceylon

I picked up a limited first edition of Russia and the Anglo -Boer war by Elisaveta Kandyba-Foxcroft. In KZN on our last vacation there. It is an astonishingly interesting read.

This is written form the Russian angle and has lots of references to Russian documents translated for the book.

What was really astounding is how well supported and received the South Africans were. But Russia was stuck in their own struggle and even though they wanted to and were pressed by the population to help they could not. That Russia was way different from the later regime that worked to destabilize SA.

Thanks KK20.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Default Re: ANGLO BOER WAR: From the siege of the port of Sevastopol, Crimea to Girl Guides of Ceylon

The Russian authors are excellent. There is a book I bought on the British Raj and the companies Armies which is more comprehensive than what we get from the English authors.
    btw where did you find the book?
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User

Quote Originally Posted by KK20 View Post
    The Russian authors are excellent. There is a book I bought on the British Raj and the companies Armies which is more comprehensive than what we get from the English authors.
    btw where did you find the book?
    I have a relatively new interest in History, was my least favorite subject in school, but now it seems you are better of knowing the past to predict the future than going to a fortune teller...

Found it in a small secondhand bookstore just off the main beach in Pennington.

Also found at the same time is
    Die Hugenote by C louis Leiplod. This one we had a waiting list for. a fascinating book about the events and conditions that lead to the French hugenotes comming to South Africa, what happened to them here and what became of them. They were a much smaller group than I imagined.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

The Finns also did their bit. Laila Kinnunen sang it in Afrikaans in the 60s.
    live out your imagination , not your history.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2