Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Cleaning a reeeeeeally old gun ( PLEASE HELP )

Hi All

Got my licence a while back for a 1913 8x57JS, cleaned it with some ballistol etc as a basic as all my new rifles run on the ballistol range etc. But after some inspection on the barrel I see some buildup etc, but I have 0 experience on this type of advanced cleaning .. any suggestions what to do ? copper cleaner like M98 etc ? any advice would be greatly appreciated to give this old bird a proper cleaning treatment

Default Re: Cleaning a reeeeeeally old gun ( PLEASE HELP )

After shooting I first clean the barrel with Hoppes no 9 to get rid of the normal "dirt" If there is to much copper in the barrel after the initial cleaning, I use M98. This works for me. Before storing the rifle I push a patch with Ballistol through the barrel. This works for me.
    Of course there are many other products on the market and other people have their own preferences

Banned

Try Robla or something similar. It is a sharp chemical but works well. RTM () is usually a good point to start.

Thereafter you can do the usual cleaning with regular agents.

User

OP - as with any 106 year old firearm, in the absence of your knowledge on this matter, get it checked by a gunsmith or other knowledgeable person. Then ask them to help you get it properly clean - before you shoot it!

As mentioned have it checked if you worried before shooting. The cost will be less then having the barrel fail under shooting.

I only use Forest Bore Foam to clean rifles. Spray in. Leave 10-15minutes. And cloth through. Can not be easier.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

With old build up and "gunk" I have done the following previously. (I am just answering the question in my regard, I am not giving advise. It is how I have done it and will still do.)

Strip the firearm as far as is possible for your abilities and experience. Put all the parts in a bowl with petrol to soak for a time. Wash the parts with a paintbrush until they are clean. Assemble again with oil in the right places. A petrol soaked boresnake does wonders on very old build up.

On not so dirty parts I have soaked and washed in Diesel also. Less aggressive and safer, but is not doing the job the same way as petrol.

For hard to reach small spaces and holes and in chambers or firing pin channels a can of carburetor cleaner works perfectly. It forces all the dirt out. Just be sure to wear safety goggles. Carb cleaner in the eyes is not nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Wells View Post
    OP - as with any 106 year old firearm, in the absence of your knowledge on this matter, get it checked by a gunsmith or other knowledgeable person. Then ask them to help you get it properly clean - before you shoot it!
    O no ive shot with the firearm but it has been neglected in terms of cleaning so ive taken up the task of cleaning it as thoroughly as possible

User

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    With old build up and "gunk" I have done the following previously. (I am just answering the question in my regard, I am not giving advise. It is how I have done it and will still do.)

Strip the firearm as far as is possible for your abilities and experience. Put all the parts in a bowl with petrol to soak for a time. Wash the parts with a paintbrush until they are clean. Assemble again with oil in the right places. A petrol soaked boresnake does wonders on very old build up.

On not so dirty parts I have soaked and washed in Diesel also. Less aggressive and safer, but is not doing the job the same way as petrol.

For hard to reach small spaces and holes and in chambers or firing pin channels a can of carburetor cleaner works perfectly. It forces all the dirt out. Just be sure to wear safety goggles. Carb cleaner in the eyes is not nice.
    This should get rid of any carbon fouling and other crud accumulating in the working parts, including the smaller recesses. However, it will not remove metal fouling. Metal fouling is a layer of bullet jacket material (usually copper alloy) that smears off on the bore and tends to accumulate over time, getting to a significant thickness where it will ruin accuracy and can push pressures up.

Metal (bullet jacket) fouling can be removed chemically (M98, Forrest etc.) or mechanically (JB bore paste, IOSSO etc.). Sometimes, in stubborn cases, a combination of both methods is needed.

Do consult with a knowledgeable person before having a go at it. Many good rifles have been ruined by over-zealous cleaning efforts.

Banned

Would like to know how this project worked out, any feedback?
    This is the kinda thing I like to battle with.

User

I inherited a 6mm Musgrave that could not shoot despite max effort.
    Only after I could see the shocking state of the barrel (Teslong) did I start making progress.
    Chemical cleaning got me nowhere.
    As a final resort before scrapping the rifle I used intensive scrubbing with Hoppes Elite, copper brush wrapped in increasing layers of steel wool, plus rubbing compound. I got almost all gunk out and can only guess the bad pitting was smoothed out as well.
    Rifle now shoots to 1.5 MOA from previous dinner plate groups.
    The one thing that is still good though are the square lands.
    ES decreased remarkably.
    It's a miracle!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast