Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Wood for smoking

I remain tempted to edit the title from “wood” to “weed”.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

I've been smoking stuff for quite a while. I even picked up a GMG pellet smoker a few years back. Unfortunately the dealer decided to stop bringing in the pellets so it's useless to me at the moment, although I'm thinking of converting it into an offset.

User

Chips seem to be a lot easier to source. Even though the Weber stuff is quite expensive. I'm going try out a few different methods and see what results I get. Maybe try a charcoal fire for the heat with some chips added in for smoke flavour. Also going to source some wood from a few local suppliers and see what flavour and heat I get from those. If I get my techniques down and my food tasting good and I want to possibly start doing BBQ as weekend work catering for markets, events etc

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ranz View Post
    I've been smoking stuff for quite a while. I even picked up a GMG pellet smoker a few years back. Unfortunately the dealer decided to stop bringing in the pellets so it's useless to me at the moment, although I'm thinking of converting it into an offset.
    There are a few local companies that sell the wood pellets for fireplaces. But I don't think you will be able to get a specific type of wood.

User

Quote Originally Posted by MoeHS1 View Post
    Chips seem to be a lot easier to source. Even though the Weber stuff is quite expensive. I'm going try out a few different methods and see what results I get. Maybe try a charcoal fire for the heat with some chips added in for smoke flavour. Also going to source some wood from a few local suppliers and see what flavour and heat I get from those. If I get my techniques down and my food tasting good and I want to possibly start doing BBQ as weekend work catering for markets, events etc
    For Sekelbos you can try the guys opposite Pepper Chair.

Banned

Buy a small chipper from Servistar or local Garden center R1600 >>>>>>to a few million rand. Buy a small garden chipper and start sourcing known wood be it braai wood thats Identifiable or found wood. For found wood you can approach a few of the local treefellers and ask what they cutting on a given day, if they anything like me they will be glad to not waste a once beautiful tree. You can also just veld walk and find. Have your found wood cut to splittable lengths and split to finger thick lengths (bought firewood will already be cut to length). These finger thick lengths are put through chipper and collected in chippers bag, they can then be labeled and stored in a breathable bag. You chip wood as you get different types - label store. Splitting, chipping enough wood for twenty smokes is less than a half hr work.
    the chipper can be used in garden as side use. You can if you know other smokers sell the different woods at R70 a bank money bag.

User

Quote Originally Posted by MoeHS1 View Post
    There are a few local companies that sell the wood pellets for fireplaces. But I don't think you will be able to get a specific type of wood.
    Nope. Those are specifically for fuel/heat and aren't food grade. I've checked everywhere.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3