my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Default The Anglo-Boer War 1 (Transvaal War of Independence) begins 13 December 1880

Three years prior to this date, the British had annexed the Transvaal under Shepstone. Following this was a period of passive resistance and repeated attempts by Boer leaders to have the annexation of the Transvaal revoked. These attempts did not work. So on 8 December 1880 between 8 000 and 10 000 Boers gathered at Paardekraal, near Krugersdorp. A triumvirate of leaders were elected (Paul Kruger, Piet Joubert and M. W. Pretorius) and on 13 December 1880 the leaders resolved to restore the Transvaal Republic and three days later raised their Vierkleur flag at Heidelberg, thus rejecting British authority. The events of the 13 December 1880 thus in effect started the war and ended passive resistance. The war became known as the Anglo-Boer War 1 or the Transvaal War of Independence.
    https://www.sahistory.org.za/dated-e...endence-begins
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User

Default Re: The Anglo-Boer War 1 (Transvaal War of Independence) begins 13 December 1880

I always enjoy your history posts KK. I learn something new every time.

Thanks

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Default Re: The Anglo-Boer War 1 (Transvaal War of Independence) begins 13 December 1880

And so kicked off “die eerste vryheids oorlog”

Banned

Please correct me if necessary: the first Anglo-Boer War was the only war where Britain capitulated? Is that correct?

And yes, thanks for your troubles with history!

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Please correct me if necessary: the first Anglo-Boer War was the only war where Britain capitulated? Is that correct?

And yes, thanks for your troubles with history!
    Yes, I have troubles with it :)
    live out your imagination , not your history.