Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Insight into AR10/SR25 Pattern Rifles

Hi All

I am looking to move into the realm of auto-loading rifles in .308/7.62x51 mm, specifically "AR" pattern guns.

My intended purpose: would be for use out to 800m +, or to put it in more realistic "novice" terms, to start off where the .223 ends, i.e. getting up and over 500m without having to get too concerned with wind. I will occasionally use this for IPSC, however I do not believe a chrome lined barrel is warranted (alas, I may be wrong).

What I would like out of the forum/thread:

• I would like some technical insight from an owners perspective as to what to look for i.e. appropriate gas system length, barrel contour, chamber specs(308 or 7.62), barrel length and twist rate. Anything of which is important from a technical stand point.
    • I would like some first hand information from owners with regard to the typical bench accuracy, bullet weights used, recoil and muzzle flip (shoot-ability) in comparison to other "similar" full size battle rifles.
    • Any additional information from an owners perspective with regard to living with the rifle such as barrel life, reliability and reloading "do's" and "don'ts". Typical failure modes/malfunctions, if any, of which have occurred frequently.

What I would like to avoid:(Advice/arguments which, although sound, are not applicable/useful for my intended purpose)

• I understand that a manual rifle is a great option, however I want an auto-loader.
    • I understand there are other auto loaders in .308, however I would like an AR.
    • Please do not brand bash unless you are the owner i.e. "My mates friends uncle's cousin has "such'n such" rifle and it is absolute rubbish" etc.
    • Please do not claim "I know a guy who shoots 0.2 MOA with such'n such..." unless the claims/comments are backed up by facts/evidence.

Thank you in advance, your insight and information will be highly appreciated.

Default Re: Insight into AR10/SR25 Pattern Rifles

I got the DPMS Recon GII. At the time it was the best option for the price. It cost less than the SIGs, and is lightweight which should count for something I think. I might look at selling mine if you were to be interested?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

User

Hi Pbuitendag

Thanks for the enthusiastic reply to the thread, I will take it into consideration moving forward.

Regards

User

I have the Remington R25, basically a dpms gen 1 . It has a 1 in 10 twist barrel and shoots 308 or 7.62x51 ammo . It does not shoot very accurately with the light 143 gr bullets but with 175gr bullets it get 1 moa accuracy.

I have run it out to 600m on steel gongs of 300mm and it is very easy to keep shots on the gongs out to 600m . I have not had a chance to go out further yet.
    the R25 is a direct gas impingement system and I do not find it a problem, after a range day I spray it down with crud buster or carb cleaner and it takes the carbon right out. I do keep it well lubed and stoppages are practically unheard of.
    To mount a scope on it you need ultra high rings (warn ultrahigh) as you need enough clearance under the scope bell to still work the cocking lever. The 308 bolt carrier is heavy and the reverse recoil is pretty hard on scopes so I recommend a good quality scope. My rifle broke a lynx and a bushnell scope and then i put a leupold mark Ar mod 1 scope on and it is holding up very well.

My rifle does not have a muzzle break on it and is very lively , it is difficult to shoot fast as the recoil takes you off target. I would definitely recommend that you put a good brake on it if you are going to use it for practical shooting.

hope this info helps a bit

User

Thanks Moose, your insight is highly appreciated.

Ill just chip in on the Twist rates. 1/12 loves 150 and 155 gr. Shooters also shoot 165 with it. But its not ideal for the heavies like 180 due to slow twist.
    Ive heard shooters say they do use them. But with 1/12 rather stay where it works best.

You will need 1/10 if you want to shoot heavier bullets.

At 500m wind will also effect the 308. Less then the lighter 223 bit it still gets pushed.

User

I have played at longer ranges with a SLR, and I enjoyed the experience a lot. However, if you are serious about hitting the target as opposed to making doppies, then there are a few things to consider. To get a SLR to do this consistently, you need quite a special setup, which will be heavy and costly. And it will then be a poor short range and IPSC performer.

If you want a versatile SLR in a AR-style platform and 308 caliber, I would recommend a medium-weight rifle and fit it with a 1-8x scope. This should be able to get you decent hits out to 500m or so, depending on target size.

For the 500+m games, it will be hard to beat a heavy-barreled bolt action rifle with a 4-16x scope or similar, and tailor-made ammo.

The 2 above will likely cost you the same (or less) as a SLR that is LR capable, and that will still not really be comparable to both in their respective specialities.

User

https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/m5e...s-rifle-length

These have been nice to play with in .308 and 6.4, accuracy has been good with S&B. Not bad for just under R40K.

User

Thank you for the valuable insight Shooty, A-R and Captain hook. I must say that Aero M5e definitely fits the bill with it's 20" barrel and rifle length gas system (well at least my perceived insight into what I have learned from the AR15 platform).

I feel I have re-affirmed much of what I was anticipating to hear from the guys with the first hand experience, so thanks again for your input.

That being said, I would like some info on the Ruger SR762 and the DM4 in 308? If someone could provide me some information on those two rifles, it would also be greatly appreciated.

Well it seems when I look at over seas reviews the Ruger Precision in 308 version. Not the Creedmor. Has a 20" barrel and seems to not shoot so well as people get the odd flyer in every group and that a bolt action. So not sure if the SR762 will be any better.

Then again for long range shooting 20" barrel in a 308 is short. It should be 26" 24" shortest. Im talking here again of bolt action knowledge. But believe the same will apply to AR barrel lengths.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast