Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default MOVIE: Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker

Got to see this on Imax recently.
    The good news, it is a helluva lot better than The Phantom Menace and Solo: A Star Wars Story. The special effects are excellent, the action scenes are good and there are some good performances by Oscar Isaac, John Boyega, Adam Driver and Billy Dee Williams (even though he only has 10 minutes of screen time).

The bad news is that the plot is incoherent, with several story threads running at the same time, and not all of them getting resolved (which is one of JJ Abrams's big flaws going back to Lost, he doesn't know how to end a story once it's started), a lot of characters are given small appearances without contributing to the plot in a significant way-special mention goes to Keri Russell (Zori Bliss), who was heavily advertised but appears on screen for about 15 minutes and never even removes her helmet, Richard E Grant (General Pryde), whose talents are criminally underused, and the Knights of Ren, who only stand around looking scary but only engaging in one fight scene. Even worse, some characters that played a prominent role in the last tow movies get completely sidelined, especially Kelly Marie Tran (Rose Tico) who gets put on a bus after being set up as Finn's love interest, and Domnhall Gleeson (General Hux) who is unceremoniously killed off to make way for Grant's character being the dragon the the big bad, Ian McDiarmidd (a resurrected Palpatine).

There are also a lot of plot holes, the biggest of which is how Palpatine survived being thrown down the Second Death Star's reactor shaft by Darth Vader and incinerated with the Death Star when it was blown to smithereens? There are other ass pulls but to mention them would act as spoilers.

While it is not a bad movie at all, and is still entertaining, it is not on par with the previous two entries in the sequel trilogy, especially The Last Jedi. much of the plot was written to satisfy butthurt fanboys who didn't like The Last Jedi. If you are a Star Wars fan it is worth a watch, but leave your brains at the door, forget the plot and just focus on the explosions and fight scenes.

User

Default Re: MOVIE: Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker

I think that JJ Abrahams did a great job, patching up the story line after the last Jedi (which was not one of the best Star Wars films IMO) could not have been very easy, and all the under used characters, if they all had to be used more the movie would have maybe dragged a bit which is one thing that it did not do.... it kept me on the edge of my seat

Also, it felt right watching it, it felt like Star Wars should, it felt special in that way.

No movie is ever perfect and neither is this one, but I LOVED it so much that I cant wait for Blu Ray and will probably go watch it at the movies again, and Im jealous that you got to watch it in IMAX!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Also watched it with the family a couple of days back but in 3D, not IMAX. It was the first time I can remember watching a full movie in 3D and for me that was the highlight.

The family all enjoyed it. They seemed to be able to more-or-less follow the plot but I have never been able to follow the plot on any of the Star Wars movies (ditto any other sci-fi/vampire etc fantasy movie for that matter) so I didn't even bother to try and just enjoyed the spectacle.

User

Going into this moving there is only one of two things, either you are just a normal person that wants to see special effects on a grand scale, and you will enjoy this very much, or you are a star wars fan which follows the story line, and then the movie will be a clusterf@ck.

The one side is just pretty lights and spaceships vs the other which is a story line that destroys the whole stars wars canon.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

��%
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Going into this moving there is only one of two things, either you are just a normal person that wants to see special effects on a grand scale, and you will enjoy this very much, or you are a star wars fan which follows the story line, and then the movie will be a clusterf@ck.

The one side is just pretty lights and spaceships vs the other which is a story line that destroys the whole stars wars canon.
    I disagree, im in the middle, love the action, special effects, random aliens, awkward comedy, the story line does get confusing but that didnt bother me too much, but I also know the blast radius of the class A thermal detonator which Luke Skywalker used to intimidate Jabba the Hutt in ROTJ, so I also consider myself a huge fan...

Star Wars to me is like getting head, even when its a bad one is still pretty exciting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Before I go ahead, spoilers, so if you don’t want any don’t read, if you are a star wars fan, read because the movie plot will suck anyways.

To understand the whole problem with the last movie, and indeed the two before them you have to look at the whole saga. The plot line of the first 6 movies(4-6 the old and 1-3 the latter) was the story line of Darth Vader and his destiny to bring balance to the force. The force being the thing that guides everything in Star Wars, not the new shit that is just poor writing.

Anyways Vader, whose real name is Anakin Skywalker, he was created by the force (had no father) just a mother, it was his destiny to bring balance to the force. He was trained as a Jedi, and later he was deceived by Palpatine(Darth Sidious) and become a sith. However that whole story line came to an end when he was redeemed by destroying Palpatine, and sacrificing himself, bringing balance to the force, just as foretold.

Then the creator of Star Wars sold the company to Disney, and there the shit began, as Disney only cares about money they don’t care about story lines.
    The person directly in charge of the last three movies at Disney is a woman called Kathleen Kennedy, an open feminist.
    So it’s by design that the character of Rey is a 100% pure mary sue, she’s got no flaws at all, in her very first outing with a light sabre she defeats the highly trained Knights of Ren Kylo, when I saw that I knew the last three movies would be a clusterfuck. One cannot wake up one day and magically be good at everything, but she is a woman, a strong mary sue, and she can do everything good right from the start. No story line, no developments, no nothing, just flawless.

So in the second modern movie, the rise of skywalker, Kathleen set out to destroy everything star wars completely. Luke, just about the main protagonist of the brand, he was cast aside and made some old useless hermit, Leia his sister, magically develops jedi powers, Rose becomes a major plot character, Poe becomes a hot headed flyboy who’s got to be talked down by some purple haired woman, played by Laura Dern another open feminist, and Rey remains Rey, perfect and without flaws.

If you did not know that about the second movie and the story line didn’t make any sense to you, well now you know why, it was specifically designed to appeal to the social justice warriors in the world, including all the man-haters.

That movie was such a clusterfuck with fans that Kathleen’s boss, Bob Iger had to step in, the director of The last jedi, Rian Johnson was thrown under the bus, and yes he is a moron but he just followed the orders of Kathleen Kennedy. Disney could not fire Kennedy because the company cannot openly show their bad choice in her, damage control then kicked in and they went to JJ Abrahams to try and salvage the debacle. JJ is known for stunning visuals but for the life of him he cannot write a good story. He was told to try and correct many of the mistakes made in the last jedi, whiles still making it look as if Disney did not fuck up.

So, what happened in the last movie, this one?
    Palpatine was brought back as the main villain, destroying the whole star wars storyline, because now Vader did not bring balance to the force, hence the original 6 movies down the drain, as if they never existed.

With the force you can do anything now, anything.
    The last bloodline of Skywalker, Kylo, dies, and the last bloodline of Palpatine, Rey, remains to take over the name(just like you can associate with whatever you want in real life these days), say what you want the sith has won in the end.

The original ending was so bad that during test screenings the people walked out. Iger got so mad he stepped in and told Kathleen to reshoot many things, in fact the movie was only finished a few weeks before opening. With damage control JJ had to develop new plots, but he was only allowed one movie to do so, so the movie have just one pace, fast forwards from scene to scene.

I can go on and on, but as said, rather act like a kid and just watch the pretty lights and be happy, don’t see it as a star wars movie rather just a standalone.

Myself, between the politics, the corporate greed and the man haters, nah, I can do a 100 page explanation why it’s just garbage.

User

You guys really take entertainment way too seriously I've seen the whole saga in theaters from 1977 on and loved every moment of the trip, the grand finale was last night and I walked out the theater with a big smile on my face, feeling happy I lived to see the whole shebang. It's a childish fairy tale originally written for kids, so take it easy with the deep analysis of pure entertainment and try to learn to enjoy it as such. Read Dante if you want to experience art.

User

I forgot to add one big gripe I have with the movie:
    There was no dedication to the late Peter Mayhew (who portrayed Chewbacca in the original trilogy, Revenge of the Sith and The Force Awakens and who passed away this year).

A Truly shameful to neglect a man whose impact on the franchise was as important as the late Carrie Fisher (no disrespect intended to her) Mark Hamill, and Harrison Ford.

Watched them the last time when the 1st prequel came out, seriously the quality drop was massive and the bar wasn't very high to begin with. At least you had great effects but when CGI was introduced it made it all look bland. Like Fast & Furious but in space.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast