Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

Default Old shotgun ammunition.

I have recently finally got the 16 G I always wanted.
    Took it to the range and was appalled by the recoil. The gun fits nicely, is heavier than normal.
    I had a thought an hr or two ago (after perhaps a month of recalling and mulling this weapons recoil).
    My first thought was perhaps the chamber is not the same as the ammo, I will measure this tomorrow, but I doubt that’s the issue, I somehow recall reading somewhere on barrel about chamber dimensions and being glad that it was the longer shell.
    Now to the other thing that came to mind.
    Do you guys think it can happen or have you known of shot shells hardening or setting?
    The shells I have are at least 15 - 20 years old and some are older. I have not to date been able to buy shells, but my people have donated much old stuff they had lying around.
    I basically have 3 eras of shells, the really old paper shells with fibre wads built up to size in layers, the old paper shells with plastic wads and then the newer plastic and plastic shells.
    I took some shells apart and noted the fibre wads were very hard, and some shot was kind of stuck together, but other than that the powder, case, primers looked good.
    I do not know how hard or soft factory made fibre wads were, but they looked OK.
    I am now wondering if perhaps the old shot being lumped together could cause an issue. I doubt it, it must surely come apart on firing.
    I also wonder if the wads are too hard and causing pressure by tight fit when leaving shell. This I can theorize happening?
    Does anyone have knowledge experience regarding the internal ballistics and possible effects of old shells.

Default Re: Old shotgun ammunition.

Probably a stupid question. But you are holding the Shotgun correctly. Meaning having it tight in shoulder. Almost leaning slightly into it and having your cheek firmly against the stock. Old Clay pigeon shooters taught me that your cheek should hurt and be pink after a clay pigeon shoot and not shoulder. As you need to force that chin into stock to align correctly.

Also what are the shot weights you are having trouble with. As Hunting loads are heavier then normal and loaded little hotter.

Banned

I will look into what you suggest Shooty, but I shoot 3 other 12 G same day, same stance no problem. I will see shot weight/, I did think of this and that some old stuff was very hot, especially in the .357 Mag hey day.

User

Other factors relating to the "kick" that you are feeling from the Fa's recoil that you should possibly consider is the stock shape and angle as well as the shoulder pad or plate shape.

I gather the shottie is an older 16ga, possibly originally built as a workhorse and not a custom fit for someone.
    It more than likely has no recoil pad and only a shoulder plate?
    If so then stock aesthetics and comfort when firing may not have been a priority consideration when shaping.

Check the contact area when in a firing position, it may be that the angle required for your body stance and shooting position is not optimal which in turn affects where the contact point is in your shoulder area when firing.

A way to damper the kick is to consider one of those slip on recoil pads.

The age of the ammo shouldn't have an effect and not likely to increase the felt recoil above 12ga levels.
    Considering you tried different ages and types of ammo as described in the beginning, the issue isn't ammo related.

Banned

Thank you Firestick it is going for a recoil pad Monday and I will look at the contact angle.
    Going to sit with this thread in two days when input has dried up and study, test all input.

User

Treeman what choke does it have, is it not perhaps a full choke ?

Banned

Current 16-gauge shotguns are chambered for 2-3/4" shells. Old 16-gauge shotguns may be chambered for either 2-1/2" (very rare) or 2-9/16" (common) shotshells. Either of these chambers are a dangerous combination with modern 2-3/4" ammo.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptein L View Post
    Treeman what choke does it have, is it not perhaps a full choke ?
    I have not been able to research the choke, the weapons history is a motley collection of miss matched bits of info. Lost records no record and destroyed records. Is there a way of measuring choke like we do on the rifles for twist rate?
    Why do you ask ?

User

Treeman...google 16 gauge choke measurements....it will give you the size for the different choke constrictions. This is then measurable at the muzzle of your shotgun with a vernier.
    If you are using ammo too long for your chamber,the crimp opens up into the chamber's forcing cone. This will raise pressures to possible dangerous levels.Your chamber length should be stamped on your barrel and the ammo will be marked.

User

Not wanting to be condescending Treeman but you know the chamber measurements is for the length of the fired case ?

As Pre 64 for said google the choke measurements because a full choke will give you more of a kick than a cylinder bore and then as suggested checkout your chamber length.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast