User

Default My best group to date

Just wanted to share this. Shot this group on December 31st, using my brother in law's new rifle.

It's a Remington 700 ADL Tactical, 24" heavy barrel. The gun was fitted in a custom stock, built by Advanced Gunsmithing in Potchefstroom. The scope is a Burris, and I may be wrong, but I think it's a 4.5-14x42 scope. The load is 41.6gr S365, in a Lapua case (new case, not yet fire formed to his rifle), in front of a normal CCI 200 primer. The bullet is an old style Lapua 139gr Scenar, loaded to 74mm on the dot if I remember correctly, running at around 2,710 FPS, but not tested on the day. The target is a normal RAM Quick Zero target, at 100m. I fired off a front tripod and a rear sand bag, from the bench. Group size, 3 shots, measured 4.96mm. The shots fell as the first shot on the right, second just to the left and the third hit almost exactly on the right hole, slightly to the left:

After this, we proceeded to shoot golf balls at 200m, in the wind, simply using the Strelok free app's trajectory calculations (unvalidated at distance). I managed to hit the same golf ball twice, both with the first shot, using that drop prediction, the wind and my tendency to shoot slightly to the right with his combo. No pics of the golf ball, but I'll post them if I get a chance and anyone wants to see them.

Totally psyched by this, because it showed me two things:

1. I don't shoot like shit like I thought I might after taking a bit of a rifle hiatus.
    2. It's not the shooter, it's the rifle, when it comes to my new .30-06 opening up groups. I have to get it sorted, starting with a bedding job.

Default Re: My best group to date

Thats a very good group Toxxyc.

Good Luck on that 30-06. As far as I know they dont become super tac drivers as there smaller cousins the 308.

User

Thanks. I'm fully aware that the cheapest Rem 700 you can buy, with a pencil barrel and all that, won't be a super tack driver, but I'm OK with that. I have seen what the rifle can do though, so I'm fairly sure I'll be able to get it to 1/2" groups at 100m reliably, but that'll remain a discussion for the other thread :D

Banned

As per my older thread -That Creedmoor Thing Again.
    These new platforms can make a first time shooter shoot almost your shown group, it’s getting the .3 mm off that group that really starts showing the shooter.
    There is no reason your rifle once worked and load developed should not shoot touching holes, the difficult part is doing the string without heating the barrel enough to change the POI
    I had a BSA 270 featherlite with a straw for a barrel that I would shoot first shot, reload shoot second and then wait ten minutes, shoot 3rd shot and ten minutes later 4th shot, only shot 2, 3 and 4 would count as group and it was a decent group.
    I would amaze shooters by shooting a fast 4 shot group which would look like a 7 with a shot on each corner and one in middle of upright. I would leave rifle for like 30/40 minutes and shoot another group just before packing up and it would print a exact 7 over first 7 making 4 x 2 shot groups. I could bring that target to range next time and repeat on same target 7 over 7 over 7 over 7 making 4 x 4 shot groups. The rifle behaved exactly the same every time it heated up.
    Thin barrels are good for first shot accuracy and your grouping may be reflecting your barrel not you’re shooting.
    The 303 that I so battled with - same thing, you cannot try test for group by firing 12 shots in a hr, all you seeing is the barrels behavior(and on an old Lee its bad behavior)

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    These new platforms can make a first time shooter shoot almost your shown group, it’s getting the .3 mm off that group that really starts showing the shooter.
    There is no reason your rifle once worked and load developed should not shoot touching holes, the difficult part is doing the string without heating the barrel enough to change the POI
    I had a BSA 270 featherlite with a straw for a barrel that I would shoot first shot, reload shoot second and then wait ten minutes, shoot 3rd shot and ten minutes later 4th shot, only shot 2, 3 and 4 would count as group and it was a decent group.
    I would amaze shooters by shooting a fast 4 shot group which would look like a 7 with a shot on each corner and one in middle of upright. I would leave rifle for like 30/40 minutes and shoot another group just before packing up and it would print a exact 7 over first 7 making 4 x 2 shot groups. I could bring that target to range next time and repeat on same target 7 over 7 over 7 over 7 making 4 x 4 shot groups. The rifle behaved exactly the same every time it heated up.
    Thin barrels are good for first shot accuracy and your grouping may be reflecting your barrel not you’re shooting.
    The 303 that I so battled with - same thing, you cannot try test for group by firing 12 shots in a hr, all you seeing is the barrels behavior(and on an old Lee its bad behavior)
    I'm going to try this approach for my 308Win load development. I'm fairly new to shooting a bolt action rifle and developing loads at the same time. Seems like I need to be far more patient when on the range and to slow it way down.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by D-MO View Post
    I'm going to try this approach for my 308Win load development. I'm fairly new to shooting a bolt action rifle and developing loads at the same time. Seems like I need to be far more patient when on the range and to slow it way down.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    In 308, 40gr S335 with 155gr match bullets. Hornady, Sierra or Berger. Is boringly accurate in my 26" Remington vssf 1/12twist.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Yeah exactly. These modern rifles make it stupidly easy. I know I'm not a bad shot. In fact, I consider myself to be an above average shooter when comfortable off the bench. It's come from years and years of shooting rifles and guns of all different types and calibers, including many, many thousands of pellet gun shots. I was just really, really surprised to see myself shoot a group like this so simply. The rifle was used just before I shot it, so the barrel wasn't cold. I didn't clean the barrel or anything, we were three people and we all shot different rifles around the clock and I simply sat down, loaded three rounds and fired them like this. No specific waiting for the barrel to cool down, no leaving the chamber open, no loading just before shooting to make sure the ammo is all the same temperature, nothing.

I agree, getting that down to record sizes will really show a shooter. I'm not capable of that. I'm just really really proud to have shot a sub-5mm group at 100m. I find it excellent for myself :D

Banned

As mentioned in thread there was a 11 year old to a much older than I guy and every one shot the 6.5 pretty much your group + 20% .
    The platform you shooting from + the modern steel makes all that cooling down not so important. You will find that that barrel can likely shoot a good few rounds before developing attitude.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Just wanted to share this. Shot this group on December 31st, using my brother in law's new rifle.

It's a Remington 700 ADL Tactical, 24" heavy barrel. The gun was fitted in a custom stock, built by Advanced Gunsmithing in Potchefstroom. The scope is a Burris, and I may be wrong, but I think it's a 4.5-14x42 scope. The load is 41.6gr S365, in a Lapua case (new case, not yet fire formed to his rifle), in front of a normal CCI 200 primer. The bullet is an old style Lapua 139gr Scenar, loaded to 74mm on the dot if I remember correctly, running at around 2,710 FPS, but not tested on the day. The target is a normal RAM Quick Zero target, at 100m. I fired off a front tripod and a rear sand bag, from the bench. Group size, 3 shots, measured 4.96mm. The shots fell as the first shot on the right, second just to the left and the third hit almost exactly on the right hole, slightly to the left:

After this, we proceeded to shoot golf balls at 200m, in the wind, simply using the Strelok free app's trajectory calculations (unvalidated at distance). I managed to hit the same golf ball twice, both with the first shot, using that drop prediction, the wind and my tendency to shoot slightly to the right with his combo. No pics of the golf ball, but I'll post them if I get a chance and anyone wants to see them.

Totally psyched by this, because it showed me two things:

1. I don't shoot like shit like I thought I might after taking a bit of a rifle hiatus.
    2. It's not the shooter, it's the rifle, when it comes to my new .30-06 opening up groups. I have to get it sorted, starting with a bedding job.
    Nicely done