Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Are there a lot of scammers for gun related equipment ?

I usually look up what I need online, to compare availability and price, and sometimes there could be something second hand at a good price.

Recently, I made inquiries on a used scope. I asked the seller the address to see the scope, and was told it's sold. A month later, the same seller was selling the same scope. When I asked if it was another scope available, I got no reply.

I also have seen another ad for a scope repeated on Junkmail and Gunafrica, word for word identical including the pictures, except the seller name is different.

Please share any experiences.

It seems the crux is asking to view the item at a location. If it's bogus, of course they will say it's already sold, and the ad will persist.

Let's list the dodgy ads and compare notes.

User

Default Re: Are there a lot of scammers for gun related equipment ?

I see a lot of these on Gunafrica.
    If it's too good to be true, it probably is....
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

Gunafrica, Gunbroker, Gumtree, Olx, Junk mail... The list can go on.

There are scammers out there after a quick buck at someone else's expense.
    Be wise and go with your gut feel when trying to deal with a seller.
    Check their profile age, speak with them as generally if they only want to communicate by sms or WhatsApp or email etc don't pursue further as something is not right.

If out of your area, have a friend or family where possible go meet, collect and pay on your behalf. That way you can guarantee your purchase as they can check, send more pics, inspect what you need clarified and then pay when happy.
    Good deals and prices can be had thus saving you money but be wise.

With a good (really unused) Lee Ultimate 308 4 die set I had been a little skeptical on a purchase but spoken with the seller and used the option above as it was quite a distance away, I now sit with an excellent die set for a third of the price. It turns out the seller was an older gent and not so clued up on emails, sending clear WhatsApp pics and generally selling something.

Good deals can be acquired with online sales from personal ads but using ones discretion is important for yourself.

I personally have both sold and bought various items on Gunafrica and picked up a few good deals but there are also others I have walked away from.

User

There is a guy on Gun Africa/OLX that has been going for years. Has taken a lot of people's money, including me. He advertises mostly gun related stuff, but also night vision, drones etc.

A sure sign to look for is if the seller wants you to pay by instant money transfer (e-wallet, Spar/Checkers etc) rather than into his bank account. Only pay into a verified bank account.

Banned

And just be careful about speaking to the ou, he's a sweet talker and will even send you a pic of "his" ID and gun licence. He assumes other guys identities always

Quote Originally Posted by Shigawagga View Post
    Only pay into a verified bank account.
    Not even that. Best way is to eyeball the goods and hand over cash.

There was a site called techruptelectronics.co.za advertising scopes. On checkout, there was no credit card payment facility, the order confirmation email had a Capitec bank account.

That site is now suspended.

When you buy with Payfast, Paygate or Paypal, the purchase is guaranteed. Only then. That is why if the transaction does not involve those three methods, it may be fraud.

A few years a go I ordered my son a graphics card online, the checkout was Payfast. The merchant didn't deliver, and ignored all communication. I contacted Payfast and they gave my money back.

These days the only real bargain you will ever get is word of mouth and meeting someone. The Sellers these day will see on any platform what the going rate for an item 2nd hand is. And will then advertise accordingly. If the price is to good to be true it will just about 99% be a scammer trying to catch someone.

User

I decided to advertise my iPhone 6 on gumtree and surprise surprise, someone contacted me and wants to pay via paypal.

UNFLIPPENBELIEVABLE.

Then he wants me to send the phone via courier.

Do I look like a dumbass?? (rhetorical question)

Disappointing to hear that it's spread to gun classified sites as well.

User

Here is an idea, I am an honest enough guy in Cape Town, I would happily put myself forward to be a "broker" for anybody dealing with a Cape Town based person who is unknown to them. As in you want to buy from MR x in Cape Town, Mr x brings the goods to me and I check them out. I call you and let you know that they are in good shape and that all is legit. You do an instant payment to Mr X and the courier fees to Me. As soon as payment is done, the goods stay with me and I ship them on up. Maybe we could set up a gunsite network of guys in the main areas who would be willing to act as agents.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast