Default Safes and storage

Hi there,

I would like to know if it is a requirement by law to own a safe at home to store your firearms or can you use a gun shop that has storage facilities for a fee instead?

It's becoming difficult to find a spot in my cupboards to put a 3 rifle safe as the floor and wall is covered by the cupboards panelling. It would then leave me with the only choice of mounting the safe in the middle of a bedroom somewhere. So storing it at a gun shop would be perfect.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: Safes and storage

Is it not an option to cut the thin back panel of the cupboard then mount the safe directly to the wall?
    That way you have your FA's with you and save storage fees which will otherwise become costly after a while.

Cutting the back panel is not a difficult thing to do as it is generally only 4mm masonite, if you move then you can just cover the hole with another panel overlay to close.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Miracle_Salad View Post
    It's becoming difficult to find a spot in my cupboards to put a 3 rifle safe as the floor and wall is covered by the cupboards panelling.
    Leave the wall paneling intact and drill through the safe holes, the paneling and wall at once

Once you remove the safe you have 4 or 5 holes that you can pollyfilla

User

Police specify that the paneling has to be removed. If not, the safe won't pass inspection.

User

I know some safes that the 3 or 4 mm hardboard of the cupboard was left intact and the DFO inspection passed.

I suggest the OP ask his local DFO if its OK or not

Banned

If you keep your rifles at the gun shop and do not have a safe, you will at some time or another fall short of legal requirements. You will at some time or the other be outside responsible ownership.
    Sooner or later you will get to GS and it’s closed, or you will need weapon before gun shop opens next day. I cannot see it being allowed as only storage, I would actually feel done in by the system if it was allowed.
    Imagine the implications of every hide it in roof, under bed kind of person deciding to use the “will store at gun shop" option.
    I say no ways and rightly so.
    Bolt it upright against wall and cover it with a drape and use top as a table top - stand.
    A student I know has no space at all, none! in his flat. He has mounted shottie safe to wall and his safe has become his bench and has a press bolted to it.

Awesome thanks for the suggestions guys, I guess I'll chat to the DFO and see what they say.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk