Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    User

Default Re: Nosler Balistic Tips

@ BeesBreet. There is nothing wrong with your English, a lot of us here are second language English speakers.

The Ballistic Tip's, in any caliber, would be fairly low down on my list of eland bullets. However, I have shot a dozen eland including a couple of mature bulls (though nowhere as large as yours) with 6.5 mm rifles and 140gr A-max bullets. The Ballistic Tip is probably a better hunting bullet than an A-max.
    I have also shot a few eland with 140gr Hornady Interlock's and 140gr Sierra Gameking's out of 6.5's and a few with 139gr Hornady Interlocks from a 7x57. None of these bullets are high on my list for use on large antelope but if the animal is standing broadside and you can place your shot accurately they will suffice.

User

Nothing on the bullets, but I was at the butchery when a man pitched up with a heavily laden Venter trailer. Only one thing in it - one moerse Eland. It was in the middle of the hunting season, and I stood there watching as they pulled out piece by piece, loading it on a trolley, carting it to the scale, and then counting up the weight at the end. Two things struck me:

1. A 474kg Eland bull is one hell of a big animal. The "boud" alone could not be lifted, it took 3 guys to move it slowly onto the trolley cart thingy. The amount of meat is simply insane. Taking the bone weight at 22% out of the equation, I shudder to think where one will find space to store that ~370kg of meat. It's way, WAY more than what will fit in most home freezers.
    2. That guy forked out R7.5k to the butcher just to process this animal. Keep this in mind when you want to shoot an Eland, Toxx.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Nothing on the bullets, but I was at the butchery when a man pitched up with a heavily laden Venter trailer. Only one thing in it - one moerse Eland. It was in the middle of the hunting season, and I stood there watching as they pulled out piece by piece, loading it on a trolley, carting it to the scale, and then counting up the weight at the end. Two things struck me:

1. A 474kg Eland bull is one hell of a big animal. The "boud" alone could not be lifted, it took 3 guys to move it slowly onto the trolley cart thingy. The amount of meat is simply insane. Taking the bone weight at 22% out of the equation, I shudder to think where one will find space to store that ~370kg of meat. It's way, WAY more than what will fit in most home freezers.
    2. That guy forked out R7.5k to the butcher just to process this animal. Keep this in mind when you want to shoot an Eland, Toxx.
    I know of quite a few hunters who had to buy a new chest freezer to accommodate the meat of their eland. A big eland bull will almost weigh as much as three mature kudu bulls in our area.

Banned

Yes - I bought a freezer, luckily I got some meat cuts early, and some more few days later and realized that meat could not be compressed. By the time the wors and patties were ready I had a new freezer, the biggest one Defy makes. Strangely, I am still running out of space, fish also cannot be compressed it appears.

Bees, ja ek sal vra vir a nommer bietjie laater as werk stiller raak. Sal geniet om oor jou we'reld te vra.

Yes Messor, the hunting thread is seldom if ever unpleasant - wonder who or why?

Any case this thread sucks, just had what I thought I knew kicked moertoe again, every time I think I have the answers someone changes the angle of attack.

User

Great thread this. I think some Ballistic Tips are constructed “tougher” than others - the Nosler reloading forum specifically talks about the 95gr 6mm and 180gr having a stronger construction. I love the 95gr in my .243 - it’s very accurate and has accounted for 2 “trek” kudus as well as many springbok.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Hearties View Post
    Great thread this. I think some Ballistic Tips are constructed “tougher” than others - the Nosler reloading forum specifically talks about the 95gr 6mm and 180gr having a stronger construction. I love the 95gr in my .243 - it’s very accurate and has accounted for 2 “trek” kudus as well as many springbok.
    Aren't they just referring to the difference between the hunting and varminting versions?

User

I shot this bull in Natal in 2016, dressed out to 334kg, and it's the entire bed of a single cab LC79. They are not small animals!!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Maroelas View Post
    Aren't they just referring to the difference between the hunting and varminting versions?
    No, don’t think so, the comments related to differences among the various hunting versions. As Messor says above, they have a pretty sturdy and thick jacket base anyway - just not bonded so will come apart by design.
    Also agree that they’re hard to justify vs the Accubonds given that the pricing is so close...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4