Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    User

Default Re: Hunting Bullet for 375H&H

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    I do not believe that energy dump have any meaningful effect in terminal performance. Plus a bullet that exits mostly leave a much better blood spoor, should you need to track the animal after it was shot.
    The most difficult of debates :)

Take three bullets, a non expanding semi wadcutter, a expanding monolithic like GMX, and a expanding bonded like Interbond.

The wadcutter will just shoot straight through the animal, since it doesn’t expand it will have the smallest permanent would channel, it really does not have the mechanical means to dispose of its energy.

The GMX will expand, and most probably penetrate fully, but it will not have the biggest frontal expansion and will also most likely not use all its energy in wound channel creation.

The Interbond is known to expand very well, and it will create the biggest permanent wound channel, but because of its expansion size it will not penetrate the deepest, or fully in bigger animals, yet it uses all its energy in the wound channel creation phase, for lack of better words, it dumped it’s energy.

Since the only measure of reliable killing is the destruction of vitals, and the only way to use a bullet is to provide it with momentum, it’s a fair assumption that bullets use energy to kill. If you don’t believe it shoot a 150gr TSX at 3000ft/s and also at 1000ft/s, see which kills fastest, then explain why.

User

I think there's simply too many variables from shot to shot and animal to animal that it's impossible to ever decide what's best, what works fastest, etc. etc. The fact remains - the more you mess up the animal's shit, the faster it dies. You can take the SWC approach (like Impala) and mess up the important shit precisely and neatly, or you can take the expanding bonded approach which messes shit up "everything in that general direction, on the inside".

I also have to add that I haven't recovered a bullet from an animal in a long, long time. Even cheapy Sierra cup'n'core bullets make a hole both sides from the old .303, at slow speeds.

User

To illustrate how the response of animals, to being shot, can differ. I have shot four blue wildebeest this week.

The first was a heifer, dressing out at 75kg, she was facing me at an angle at ±200m. The bullet, a 120gr GMX from a 6.5 Creedmoor hit her on her right shoulder and exited behind the left shoulder. She bucked and took of running. After a hundred meters she keeled over.

Second were two young but mature bulls (dressed weight ± 120kg). Both were shot at ±220m within 2 minutes of each other. The first was angling towards me, the bullet, a 180gr GMX, smashed the near shoulder and the shank of the bullet exited behind the opposite shoulder, the expanded front part of the bullet was found under the skin close to the exit hole. He spun around a few times and then dropped where he had been standing.

The second bull (third wildebeest), they were part of a small bachelor herd, and his friends ran off, then ran back to see what was wrong with their friend. I shot the second bull, standing right next to his late companion. He was almost broadside on, the bullet, again a 180 GMX, entered on the near shoulder, missing bone, and broke the far shoulder. He ran of, leg swinging, and made it 140 meters (measured) before going down.

The last animal was a mature bull but with small horns (dressed weight ±150kg) at ±300m. He was standing broadside on. The 180gr GMX broke his near shoulder and was recovered under the skin on his opposite shoulder. He almost went down, then recovered and ran very enthusiastically for almost a hundred meters before going down.

None of the animals appeared to be aware of my presence when they were shot, so I doubt whether adrenaline was a factor.

Banned

I agree that it sounds like a sensational selling point. I do not believe that a bullet with multiple cutting shoulders will achieve anything that a bullet with a single cutting shoulder of full bullet diameter will not achieve.

Normally I do want a bullet to expand. I do not necessarily want it to to stop in the animal. Certainly not if the animal is a springbok standing perfectly broadside. Even on larger antelope, a bullet that stops in an animal standing broadside, without it breaking heavy bone, is probably not going to penetrate sufficiently in an animal standing at an extreme angle. I do not believe that energy dump have any meaningful effect in terminal performance. Plus a bullet that exits mostly leave a much better blood spoor, should you need to track the animal after it was shot.
    I will not re-post above, so ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ could be me speaking.
    There is no energy dump, never was.

Banned

If it did not have the energy to get through, what did it dump?
    If it went through it used the energy on that same tissue to get through.
    If it expanded more and was stopped in body by this expansion, then upping the energy propelling the bullet to a point where it exits will still cause more damage than the bullet that did not exit.
    Two holes are not twice as good, more like 4 x as good.

Banned

A .458 bullet with a BC of .628 and an Enhanced System Projectile that:

"is specially designed to deliver a progressive impact on game. The first is on impact, another when the wound channel expands with the second step, a third when the third meplat enters and cuts a passage in the tissue, the fourth as the wound channel expand. The fifth when an almost calibre-size hole is punched through skin and bone. It cuts a calibre size wound channel right rough the body and leaves two large openings for bleeding out."

Sounds rather odd to me.

This marketing may be just one step above the Chinese product labels we see ever so often. The random use of technical terms inter spaced by dramatic affect words without thought for grammar meaning or logic.
    Sort of like I post on a real "me" day.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    I have had personal contact with Johan Kriek. Honest, standup guy with vision and an open ear. He also stands to his products.

Second, you seem to prefer a light bullet which rules out premium bonded bullets.

Third, Kriek has a good reputation for working well.

Fourth, they are mono's, and affordable.
    5th - The are very accurate. I agree with 1 to 4

300gr Accubonds at circa 2 500fps have served me well.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

User

The VLR4 range from Peregrine are also good. You can get them in various weights. I have purchased a bunch of 230gr for my .375 - to load for a Kalahari hunt (of all things). Only using my .375 (with suppressor and muzzle break fitted) on the hunt because another person on the hunt will be borrowing my 30-06.

User

The Peregrine 230gr 375H&H recovered from Eland cow, shot broadside at 140m. Bullet was recovered under skin going all the way….the load data is per Peregrine load optimum data on the website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4