Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Default Re: Best 9mm P ammo to carry for Self Defense

At the risk of being crucified, why would it be unwise to load your own self defense ammo?

I am reloading for some time now and even though I'm not claiming to be an expert at all, I believe I can improve on the consistency of the factory loads by being super vigilant while controlling all steps of the loading process.

Self defense "punte" is apparently available : https://peregrinebullets.co.za/self-defence-handgun-bullet/

I have not tried it at all, but I think it might be a worthwhile exercise? To test at least?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Beitel View Post
    At the risk of being crucified, why would it be unwise to load your own self defense ammo?

I am reloading for some time now and even though I'm not claiming to be an expert at all, I believe I can improve on the consistency of the factory loads by being super vigilant while controlling all steps of the loading process.

Self defense "punte" is apparently available : https://peregrinebullets.co.za/self-defence-handgun-bullet/

I have not tried it at all, but I think it might be a worthwhile exercise? To test at least?
    It is an option if you can find good bullets, but you lose some of the benefits that premium factory ammunition provides, such as the sealing that protects the contents of the cartridge (ie the powder charge) against moisture or the nickel plated brass cases that many premium defensive ammo is loaded on.

In my opinion it would be best to load such ammunition with brand new cases, and all of them of the same brand. Therefore you won't technically be reloading, but manufacturing your own ammunition.

Whether it's worth it and whether you are willing to trust yourself to load ammunition that you can depend your life on, is a question only you can answer.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MFouche94 View Post
    It is an option if you can find good bullets, but you lose some of the benefits that premium factory ammunition provides, such as the sealing that protects the contents of the cartridge (ie the powder charge) against moisture or the nickel plated brass cases that many premium defensive ammo is loaded on.
    With a decent taper crimp and snug primer pocket, moisture isn't an issue. Had a number of reloads left in a pocket go through 2 cycles in the washing machine and worked as well as if they had just come off the press. Nickel plated brass offers so little benefit, it isn't worth worrying about.

User

Quote Originally Posted by AndreHugoCPT View Post
    I have a Glock 26 Gen 5 carrying 12+1 (extended mag).
    I too have a Glock 26 G5. Do let us know once you tested which one you ended up settling for.

User

The biggest problem (and there are more) according to me with reloading your own ammo, is the lack of decent bullets. And no, a 95gr monolithic is not a decent bullet.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    The biggest problem (and there are more) according to me with reloading your own ammo, is the lack of decent bullets. And no, a 95gr monolithic is not a decent bullet.
    Hornady XTPs are available. I've also seen Speer Gold dots for sale online.

User

Quote Originally Posted by MFouche94 View Post
    Hornady XTPs are available. I've also seen Speer Gold dots for sale online.

What weights? I found only 115gr XTPs back when I loaded for them, and then I had to really push the limits of our local powders to get them to their advertised speeds (was around 1350FPS IIRC). Gun recoiled like mad. I shot them out and bought Federal 147gr HST's. It's not worth the load development cost and worry, tin-to-tin powder consistency, the fact that your primers aren't sealed, you get mad recoil, etc.

Been there, done that, got the T-Shirt.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    What weights? I found only 115gr XTPs back when I loaded for them, and then I had to really push the limits of our local powders to get them to their advertised speeds (was around 1350FPS IIRC). Gun recoiled like mad. I shot them out and bought Federal 147gr HST's. It's not worth the load development cost and worry, tin-to-tin powder consistency, the fact that your primers aren't sealed, you get mad recoil, etc.

Been there, done that, got the T-Shirt.
    A while ago I bought 124 grain XTPs from 24/7 hunter. They often sell 9mm XTPs in all three weights (115, 124 & 147 grain). I agree regarding the benefits of factory defensive ammunition like the sealed primer. I also agree that available powder options also limit what we can do with reloaded ammo.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4