Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thank you all for your comments. Budget not an issue but I do realise that firing off a barrage of expensive rounds down range is an utter waste of money. Will buy a few boxes of different cartridges and go test it down at the range.

Default Re: Best 9mm P ammo to carry for Self Defense

Quote Originally Posted by zguy View Post
    Shooting a whole box of premium ammo is going to be expensive. If on a budget, shoot at least a whole magazine, with one in the chamber. So in your case, 12 in the mag with one in the chamber.
    Not as expensive as getting shot because you failed to properly test your equipment.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Quote Originally Posted by AndreHugoCPT View Post
    I do realise that firing off a barrage of expensive rounds down range is an utter waste of money.
    No it isn't, not if you actually apply your mind to testing, by deliberately limp wristing the gun etc.
    Havamal

Quote Originally Posted by AndreHugoCPT View Post
    Sorry if this has been discussed, but I have just spent a considerable amount of time trying to find a suitable answer to this.

124g vs 147g etc etc. Bonded JHP vs FMJ etc. PMP vs Winchester vs Federal Premium etc...

What (in your opinion) is best self defence carry ammo. Im aware therenis no suck thing as "stopping power", its all shot placement. But in terms of tissue damage, what would give you better incapacitation? Smaller grain travelling at higher speed or a +P loading of the cartridge?

This is a mind field of factors to consider! Im a newbie firearm owner and trying to make heads or tales of available ammo is mind boggling.

Many Thanks for your kind assistance.
    Handgun cartridges suck - all of them. CNS hits stop fights. Massive blood pressure loss stops fights too, but slower.

You need to ensure that the brand and load that you choose is reliable in your gun, not your buddy's gun. Once you have narrowed that down, find one with adequate penetration - the FBI and other agencies have done the work for you on this.

Then find the one that shoots the straightest and is the most controllable.

Make sure that supply is consistent.
    Havamal

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Buy the best you can get that works reliably in your gun. "Reliably" isn't just cycled by hand, it's a box or two test fired to check how it feeds, ejects and shoots with various tests, like holding the gun skew, limp wristing, etc. A PMP 115gr HP that feeds reliably in your gun is a better choice than a Winchester Ranger T Bonded that doesn't work like it should.
    This

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    Not as expensive as getting shot because you failed to properly test your equipment.
    The reality is that many people need to pinch their money.. Not everyone is loaded or has spare money to spend. So you make do with what you can.

User

Look at any Tier 1 JHP eg Hornady critical series, Federal HST, Speer Gold Dot, Winchester Ranger T etc. Realistically speaking one has to take into account the cost and what is consistently available of the Tier 1 brands and the answer to that is the Winchester Ranger T series, it is consistently or atleast more accessible than any of the aforementioned brands as well as it comes in a box of 50 retailing for approximately R600 (vs boxes of 20 retailing for R450 of other brands) hence it makes sense to stick with the Ranger T series as you don't need to change brands as with other brands if it isn't available, which will require you to change brands and re-incur the cost of functioning testing the ammo.

For shorter barrels higher grain (147gr) JHP's seem to perform better in terms of expansion and penetration, they also have reduced recoil and perform well in sub compacts. The lucky gunner study is a good guide just be cognisant of the barrel length of the firearm used to test the ammo.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bjorn881 View Post
    Look at any Tier 1 JHP eg Hornady critical series, Federal HST, Speer Gold Dot, Winchester Ranger T etc. Realistically speaking one has to take into account the cost and what is consistently available of the Tier 1 brands and the answer to that is the Winchester Ranger T series, it is consistently or atleast more accessible than any of the aforementioned brands as well as it comes in a box of 50 retailing for approximately R600 (vs boxes of 20 retailing for R450 of other brands) hence it makes sense to stick with the Ranger T series as you don't need to change brands as with other brands if it isn't available, which will require you to change brands and re-incur the cost of functioning testing the ammo.

For shorter barrels higher grain (147gr) JHP's seem to perform better in terms of expansion and penetration, they also have reduced recoil and perform well in sub compacts. The lucky gunner study is a good guide just be cognisant of the barrel length of the firearm used to test the ammo.
    I bought 147gr ranger T's on Sunday at a well known store in Pretoria for R590. This was to replace my 18 month old 147gr ranger T's. I'm going to shoot the old ones later this week, and even though they are tarnished and saw EDC in all situations , I'm still confident they will all fire. But just replacing them as a precaution.

If you live in a costal region or humid area, i beliece that you should replace your carry ammo more frequently, just to ensure reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by zguy View Post
    The reality is that many people need to pinch their money.. Not everyone is loaded or has spare money to spend. So you make do with what you can.
    Stop smoking, drinking and cancel dstv.

Seriously though, life saving equipment is worth the investment.

If you can't afford a box to test, you can't afford to carry them. In that case, carry ball, after testing it.
    Havamal

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    No it isn't, not if you actually apply your mind to testing, by deliberately limp wristing the gun etc.
    Couldnt agree more, I managed to get a Glock 26 Gen5 to malfunction by deliberatley limp wristing it with 127 Grain +P+ Winchester Ranger T’s, BUT please dont take my word for it, buy 2 boxes, 100 Rounds and shoot out at least 50...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast