User

Default Handgun Firearm license application

Hi Peeps.

So my Competency Certificate should be settle within the next month and I want to start putting my License Docs in place for a speedy application.
    But I would need some help and tips please!

I heard you have to submit a stack of papers, including crime stats etc.

So what I have in mind is:

Personal Details.
    Details of the Purchased firearm
    Crime stats. (How long stats and specific area I live in?)
    Motivation from my view as it will be for Self Defence.
    Motivation from my Spouse
    And 1 more motivation from a Friend.
    Supporting docs where I was born, grew up, went to school, studies etc. (Showing stability and no bad reckless times)

ANY tips please, I do not want to resubmit because I did not include everything.

Thanks,
    Stehan

User

Default Re: Handgun Firearm license application

Remember to mention what you have already put in place... Burglar bars, alarm with armed response, electric fence, dogs, internal security gate etc. And that the firearm will be an absolute last resort to protect life.

User

Presumably you're going for a Section 13 licence?

You don't require 'motivations' from spouses and friends for the application (their role was in your fitness and propriety to own when you applied for your comp).

Whatever you state in your motivation, you must be able to back up, so if you say you own a house and want to protect it, be able to back it up. Remember, this application is a sworn statement.

For S13, my understanding is you state how you've taken all reasonable steps to protect yourself and loved ones but still feel unsafe...

It's a bit of a funny, since for S15 and S16 you can state 'I intend to participate in activity X and Y and Z'...you can't really say 'I intend to get attacked and intend to use my S13 weapon, licenced for self-defence, in this self-defence situation should it arise'.

See my checklist below:

1. 2 x ID copies
    2. 2 x ID photos
    3. SAPS Competency Certs
    4. Proof of Residence
    5. Safe photos x 2 (one with door locked; one showing interior and bolts)
    6. Gunsmith Report
    7. SAPS350
    8. SAPS271 from Dealer

If you can get a g-smith report ( to comply with the stipulation that the firearm is not fully automatic) at low cost, go for it;
    do not include garbage about 'the gun is made of space shuttle polymer and can do back-flips and appeared in movies and is preferred by X and Y and Z' that you find on Google. This is not required.
    Merely state why the gun is suitable as a SD weapon and how if fits your budget etc.

Licence to possess firearm for self-defence
    13. (1) A firearm in respect of which a licence may be issued in terms of this section is any—
    (a) shotgun which is not fully or semi-automatic; or
    (b) handgun which is not fully automatic. (G-smith report proves this aspect)
    (2) The Registrar may issue a licence under this section to any natural person (ID proves this aspect) who—
    (a) needs a firearm for self-defence; and
    (b) cannot reasonably satisfy that need by means other than the possession of a firearm.
    (3) No person may hold more than one licence issued in terms of this section.
    (4) A firearm in respect of which a licence has been issued in terms of this section may be used where it is safe to use the firearm and for a lawful purpose.

User

make your motivation letter a true, personal one
    and keep it to about a page or two in length

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Gunman View Post
    Remember to mention what you have already put in place... Burglar bars, alarm with armed response, electric fence, dogs, internal security gate etc. And that the firearm will be an absolute last resort to protect life.
    Apologies for the hijack- it’s still related. Would you need to prove that you have installed bars, alarms, security gates and your dogs with pictures or is the proof more related to why you actually need the firearm?

User

when the DFO's office come to check your safe, they will ask about your alarm system, burglar bars, etc.