Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

Default Ruger Mk 1 pistol: spares and questions?

Good evening Folks,

I am the proud owner of a Ruger Mk 1 pistol. It serves to practice finger discipline and to teach my children the basics.

Some questions:

1. The extractor broke. Who stocks spares?

2. Are the Rugers limited to a certain type of ammunition? It shot Std, High Velocity and .22 Long without too many hiccups. The manual did not mention anything about certain types of ammunition to be excluded.

3. Could High Velocity ammunition have caused the broken extractor?

4. The extractor broke on the third last cartridge. However, the pistol ejected the last two cases when I fired them. Can someone explain this please? Does it have to do with blowback, or momentum?

User

Default Re: Ruger Mk 1 pistol: spares and questions?

The extractor broke on the third last cartridge. However, the pistol ejected the last two cases when I fired them. Can someone explain this please? Does it have to do with blow back, or momentum?

From what I learned from the forgotten weapons You Tube web site blow back weapons can function without an extractor because the gas on the barrel does the job not sure if this is accurate.

I brought in however for the Mark 4 a Volquartzen Extractor for mine from Brownells without issue. They should have for the Mark 1. Just keep order below $100.

User

Uses the same extractor as 10/22 if I remember correctly, try Guns & Bows Cape Town or VLT Pretoria for Ruger spares.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Good evening Folks,

I am the proud owner of a Ruger Mk 1 pistol. It serves to practice finger discipline and to teach my children the basics.

Some questions:

1. The extractor broke. Who stocks spares?

2. Are the Rugers limited to a certain type of ammunition? It shot Std, High Velocity and .22 Long without too many hiccups. The manual did not mention anything about certain types of ammunition to be excluded.

3. Could High Velocity ammunition have caused the broken extractor?

4. The extractor broke on the third last cartridge. However, the pistol ejected the last two cases when I fired them. Can someone explain this please? Does it have to do with blowback, or momentum?
    1. Guns&Bows or Brownells. A quick e-mail to Ruger will likely result in them sending a spare, not sure wheither this will be through G&B or directly to you. I would not recommend the other agent...

2. They generally shoot anything. They stop shooting when they get dirty. This depends on ammo type. Some ammo is dirtier than others. Especially the mags need to be cleaned regularly and preferably need some oil in the front where the bullet tips rub. The wax on some lead bullet tips is particularly irksome in the mk1 (9-shot) mags.

Get some mk11 mags if you can. They are a much superior design and load and feed much better. They also make a "new" mk1 mag, which is a mk11 with a limiting stub on the follower that reduces mag capacity to 9 rounds. I have 2 of them and just cut the stub off to allow use of the full 10-round capacity.

The mk111 and mk1V mags can also work, but the mag release tab can occasionally catch the (non-relieved) frame and hang up slightly. Test them before commiting.

3. I doubt it. I shoot lots of SV and HV ammo in mine and don't have any issues. No, I did not count them. I buy 22LR ammo by the box of 10 bricks. My kids think it's for free.

4. On blow-back designs, like most 22's are, the extractor is only really needed to unload the gun. When shooting, the case is blown back and out by the pressure in the barrel. You can safely continue shooting it, as long as you remember that you now need to shoot it empty. Clearing a misfire may require a rod through the barrel.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    1. Guns&Bows or Brownells. A quick e-mail to Ruger will likely result in them sending a spare, not sure wheither this will be through G&B or directly to you. I would not recommend the other agent...

2. They generally shoot anything. They stop shooting when they get dirty. This depends on ammo type. Some ammo is dirtier than others. Especially the mags need to be cleaned regularly and preferably need some oil in the front where the bullet tips rub. The wax on some lead bullet tips is particularly irksome in the mk1 (9-shot) mags.

Get some mk11 mags if you can. They are a much superior design and load and feed much better. They also make a "new" mk1 mag, which is a mk11 with a limiting stub on the follower that reduces mag capacity to 9 rounds. I have 2 of them and just cut the stub off to allow use of the full 10-round capacity.

The mk111 and mk1V mags can also work, but the mag release tab can occasionally catch the (non-relieved) frame and hang up slightly. Test them before commiting.

3. I doubt it. I shoot lots of SV and HV ammo in mine and don't have any issues. No, I did not count them. I buy 22LR ammo by the box of 10 bricks. My kids think it's for free.

4. On blow-back designs, like most 22's are, the extractor is only really needed to unload the gun. When shooting, the case is blown back and out by the pressure in the barrel. You can safely continue shooting it, as long as you remember that you now need to shoot it empty. Clearing a misfire may require a rod through the barrel.
    A-R, thanks a lot for this! Especially that I can continue firing the pistol.

User

One model of .22 Beretta was actually manufactured without an extractor - the Bobcat I think.

The extractor helps to remove un fired rounds from the chamber.
    But also when you fire and slide gets to back and the case gets pushed at rear of movement by the ejector. So that it will come out of slide. The extractor helps it to go in a more pre defined direction. Without it the case will eject but will go different directions every time.

User

Reviving this very sleepy thread rather than starting a new one.

I have a line on a 5.5 inch Mark 1 Target which from photos looks pretty good. Apart from the obvious things like bore condition, rust, smoothness of action etc. is there anything that I should look out for particularly if I get to finger bang it?

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    This. I have a Star model F that arrived without an extractor, it works perfectly. As long as it is shot until empty. Removing an unfired cartridge or misfire is easily achieved using a Mark I human fingernail.
    I am looking for an extractor.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast