Thread: S&W model 19

Default S&W model 19

Hi guys and girls. I may have the opportunity to get a S&W model19 that has been a safe queen since new, well the box of 50 rounds that were bought with the gun is only missing 12 so i think its safe to say its as new as one would get. Now the big question, how much do you guys think its worth? The owner said i should make a offer but i dont know what the market price is on them second hand. Can anyone help please

User

Default Re: S&W model 19

I sold mine about 3 years ago for R4000 if I recall correctly.

A great gun that will treat you well!

With today’s second hand market the way if is, a fair deal for both parties would be R3000

User

R3-4k would be about right.

They are very decent guns, if you like revolvers. Also, do not feed it too much 357-level ammo. The gun can safely fire them, but it does take some strain. The shooter does too. With 38Spl level loads, or maybe slightly hotter, it should outlast you and produce lots of good fun along the way.

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    They are very decent guns, if you like revolvers. Also, do not feed it too much 357-level ammo. The gun can safely fire them, but it does take some strain. The shooter does too. With 38Spl level loads, or maybe slightly hotter, it should outlast you and produce lots of good fun along the way.
    Seconded

Quote Originally Posted by pdh View Post
    Seconded
    The model 19 should be just fine with 158gr 357 magnum loads. The problem is hot 125gr magnum loads which have previously been the cause of cracked forcing cones ... Lovely gun nevertheless, especially a minty one.

User

Quote Originally Posted by GunEmoji View Post
    The model 19 should be just fine with 158gr 357 magnum loads.
    And you can shoot these as much as your wallet permits: this is the load the Mod. 19 is designed to shoot. I'll never part with mine, all else can go first.

Thanks for the replies guys, will make an offer and hear what he says. Thanks again

User

Quote Originally Posted by GunEmoji View Post
    The model 19 should be just fine with 158gr 357 magnum loads. The problem is hot 125gr magnum loads which have previously been the cause of cracked forcing cones ... Lovely gun nevertheless, especially a minty one.
    There is also the issue of cylinder end-play developing over time with the normal 36000PSI level 158gn loads. This is more due to the relatively light weight of the whole revolver, than any weakness in the design. The recoil pounds the shooter (maybe I'm just overly recoil-sensitive) but also rattles the cylinder in the frame. With prolonged use, this can and will manifest in cylinder end-shake. Off course it can be fixed with the correct shims by a revolver-savvy gunsmith. This was a more serious issue when the 357M was still loaded to 40000PSI+ as per CIP max pressure specs. Rumour has it that SAAMI was pressured into reducing the max pressure spec to 36000PSI in order to protect the mod 19 (and 66) from excessive wear.

Personally, I would shoot it with slightly reduced loads just to moderate the recoil and make it more fun to shoot. What's the use of having a handgun and not enjoying shooting it a lot? I can still recall the ruptured blister I got on my shooting hand from shooting a few cylinders full of PMP 158gn SJP 357M ammo through a 4" version with original wooden grips. Something like a 158gn lead SWC or CMJ loaded to 1000fps from a 4" barrel should be powerfull enough for most uses a mod 19 is good for, without being too painful to the shooter or the gun.

This is why S&W developed and built the mod 686-family of revolvers. Strong and heavy enough to take a steady diet of full-power 357M ammo, without going to the bulk and weight of an N-frame.

Good points... hannes, just make sure it's not a 19-5 (crush fit barrels that seemed to give up under hot 125gr loads).