Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Newb looking for hunting bullet FAQ

Hi Guys

New here. Ive just bought my first own hunting rifle. Have been on hunts with my dad and friends but never really paid attention to all the bullet terminology and choices out there.

Since I've joined here, and started reading more, the less I know.

Is there a guide/FAQ/sticky on here or possibly a YouTube vid that explains bullet terminology.

Im just trying to learn as much as possible so I can making more informed decisions and not just rely on salesmans advice.

can someone explain what are ballistic coefficients , monolithics and boat tails. What is the difference between target bullets and good hunting bullets
    Last edited by tommy_thebadger; 15-01-2020 at 15:36. Reason: Adding text, correcting typo

Banned

Default Re: Newb looking for hunting bullet FAQ

Just Google bullet terminology and you have plenty sources.

User

Loosely, BC is aerodynamics, monolithic's are normally made of solid copper or brass alloy. Target bullets are normally made with thin jackets, good for targets but not great for hunting. Boat tail means it does not have a flat base, more of a taper.

Selection depends on a whole lot of things, calibre, distance, species etc. All very debate able and a bit of a tricky subject as there are so many opinions as well options.

Use the forum google search at the top right of the page and type in something like "which bullet for my 308 win this season"
    That will keep you occupied for a while.

User

Forget about BC.

That out of the way, types of bullets:

1: Target bullet = Thin precise copper jacket with lead core, unless you are a pro or very experienced just look away.
    2: Conventional hunting bullet = Normal copper jacket with lead core, will do all that you want at LOWER velocities, with higher impact velocities and thicker bone the bullet can fail.
    3: Partitioned bullet = Still a normal copper jacket but two lead cores, the front may fail but the rear penetrates, the original premium bullet design.
    4: Bonded bullet = Normal copper jacket, but the lead is bonded to the jacket, this ensures structural integrity, in modern terms this is the concept of a lead core premium bullet.
    5: Bonded partitioned bullet = precious few around, the same as Nr 3 but the front core is bonded, same as Nr 4, this is called a premium bonded partitioned bullet, the only real example is the ultra premium Swift A-frame.
    6: Bear claw bullet = The rear copper shank is solid, meaning the shank makes up at least half of the bullet, the front is a lead core, this bullet penetrates well and expands equally well, a good hunting bullet.
    7: Monolithic, comes in two designs, expanding and none expanding. The monolithic part refers to a bullet of single material, either brass or copper, they can be either expanding bullets or non expanding bullets, and that simply means either the front of the bullet opens up and expand or not, you want the bullet to expand.

For any newcomer, for whom experience cannot be factored in, chose from 3 to 7, examples:
    3: Nosler partition
    4: Nosler Accubond, Hornady Interbond, Norma Oryx, Swift Scirocco, Federal fusion.
    5: Swift A-frame
    6: Speer bear claw (purchased by Federal), Federal Trophy bonded tip, Winchester fail safe.
    7: Barnes TSX/TTSX(BUY THIS!!), Hornady GMX, Peregrine, Kriek, ETC ETC

If this doesn’t answer your question then nothing will :)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Forget about BC.

That out of the way, types of bullets:

1: Target bullet = Thin precise copper jacket with lead core, unless you are a pro or very experienced just look away.
    2: Conventional hunting bullet = Normal copper jacket with lead core, will do all that you want at LOWER velocities, with higher impact velocities and thicker bone the bullet can fail.
    3: Partitioned bullet = Still a normal copper jacket but two lead cores, the front may fail but the rear penetrates, the original premium bullet design.
    4: Bonded bullet = Normal copper jacket, but the lead is bonded to the jacket, this ensures structural integrity, in modern terms this is the concept of a lead core premium bullet.
    5: Bonded partitioned bullet = precious few around, the same as Nr 3 but the front core is bonded, same as Nr 4, this is called a premium bonded partitioned bullet, the only real example is the ultra premium Swift A-frame.
    6: Bear claw bullet = The rear copper shank is solid, meaning the shank makes up at least half of the bullet, the front is a lead core, this bullet penetrates well and expands equally well, a good hunting bullet.
    7: Monolithic, comes in two designs, expanding and none expanding. The monolithic part refers to a bullet of single material, either brass or copper, they can be either expanding bullets or non expanding bullets, and that simply means either the front of the bullet opens up and expand or not, you want the bullet to expand.

For any newcomer, for whom experience cannot be factored in, chose from 3 to 7, examples:
    3: Nosler partition
    4: Nosler Accubond, Hornady Interbond, Norma Oryx, Swift Scirocco, Federal fusion.
    5: Swift A-frame
    6: Speer bear claw (purchased by Federal), Federal Trophy bonded tip, Winchester fail safe.
    7: Barnes TSX/TTSX(BUY THIS!!), Hornady GMX, Peregrine, Kriek, ETC ETC

If this doesn’t answer your question then nothing will :)
    Fantastic, very helpful reply. Thank you Messor

What calibre as a matter of interest?

User

Quote Originally Posted by DaavG View Post
    What calibre as a matter of interest?
    I was just asking in general so that I understand others posts better.

But I bought myself a 308, as I thought this would be the best general purpose rifle for me

User

308 is junk, you probably bought a cheap one too to make it worse.

Nah, kidding, nice calibre to begin with, I did and just stayed with it. No reason for me to change.

Enjoy.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Sean KZN View Post
    308 is junk, you probably bought a cheap one too to make it worse.

Nah, kidding, nice calibre to begin with, I did and just stayed with it. No reason for me to change.

Enjoy.
    😂😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by tommy_thebadger View Post
    I was just asking in general so that I understand others posts better.

But I bought myself a 308, as I thought this would be the best general purpose rifle for me
    Good choice. I have a 7x57 so my choice of factory ammunition bullets is very limited, hence my question. I mainly have the conventional hunting bullet as per above which has worked fine so far at its moderate speeds but for comfort I wouldn't mind a bonded option.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast