Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Newb looking for hunting bullet FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Forget about BC.

That out of the way, types of bullets:

1: Target bullet = Thin precise copper jacket with lead core, unless you are a pro or very experienced just look away.
    2: Conventional hunting bullet = Normal copper jacket with lead core, will do all that you want at LOWER velocities, with higher impact velocities and thicker bone the bullet can fail.
    3: Partitioned bullet = Still a normal copper jacket but two lead cores, the front may fail but the rear penetrates, the original premium bullet design.
    4: Bonded bullet = Normal copper jacket, but the lead is bonded to the jacket, this ensures structural integrity, in modern terms this is the concept of a lead core premium bullet.
    5: Bonded partitioned bullet = precious few around, the same as Nr 3 but the front core is bonded, same as Nr 4, this is called a premium bonded partitioned bullet, the only real example is the ultra premium Swift A-frame.
    6: Bear claw bullet = The rear copper shank is solid, meaning the shank makes up at least half of the bullet, the front is a lead core, this bullet penetrates well and expands equally well, a good hunting bullet.
    7: Monolithic, comes in two designs, expanding and none expanding. The monolithic part refers to a bullet of single material, either brass or copper, they can be either expanding bullets or non expanding bullets, and that simply means either the front of the bullet opens up and expand or not, you want the bullet to expand.

For any newcomer, for whom experience cannot be factored in, chose from 3 to 7, examples:
    3: Nosler partition
    4: Nosler Accubond, Hornady Interbond, Norma Oryx, Swift Scirocco, Federal fusion.
    5: Swift A-frame
    6: Speer bear claw (purchased by Federal), Federal Trophy bonded tip, Winchester fail safe.
    7: Barnes TSX/TTSX(BUY THIS!!), Hornady GMX, Peregrine, Kriek, ETC ETC

If this doesn’t answer your question then nothing will :)
    Excellent post!

I went with Peregrine. Local = no supply issues and local is lekka :)

I'm an experienced hunter and still find myself looking for the perfect load. Keep at it, reload, test, reload, test. Enjoy the 308.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tommy_thebadger View Post
    Hi Guys

New here. Ive just bought my first own hunting rifle. Have been on hunts with my dad and friends but never really paid attention to all the bullet terminology and choices out there.

Since I've joined here, and started reading more, the less I know.

Is there a guide/FAQ/sticky on here or possibly a YouTube vid that explains bullet terminology.

Im just trying to learn as much as possible so I can making more informed decisions and not just rely on salesmans advice.

can someone explain what are ballistic coefficients , monolithics and boat tails. What is the difference between target bullets and good hunting bullets
    Some extra ideas, just to confuse you even more

Your rifle's barrel groove twist will determine which bullet it stabilises best. That means which bullet it can shoot accurately. The tighter the twist, the heavier bullet you can shoot - generally spoken. Most 308's have 1:10, 1:11 or 1:12 twist. 1:10 should easily stabilise up to 180gr or even 200gr bullets; 1:12 should stabilise 150gr to 165gr bullets. 1:14 probably will only stabilise 150gr bullets, or lighter.

Monolithic bullets are longer than conventional bullets. It means that a 180gr cup-and-core bullet is roughly as long as a 130gr mono.

Choose your bullets according to your barrel's twist AND according to your target animal; keep the distances you hunt at in mind.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2