Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Long term review on Olight rechargeable torches

Been doing some light reading on the Olight rechargeable range of torches that recharge via the magnetic base contraption. I like the idea of not having to worry about removing and replacing/recharging batteries etc etc. My phone is always on 20% charge - so that should give you an indication of where this question comes from ;-)

I'm looking for some long term user reviews on these lights. Specifically, how are the batteries holding up?

A couple of videos make mention of topping up the charge whenever an opportunity presents itself. My question is how does this impact on the lifespan of the battery and the overall usability of the light?

For context, I'm looking at a small EDC'able light and one for general around-the-house use.

User

Default Re: Long term review on Olight rechargeable torches

I think battery life does diminish if one keeps topping it up. I’m not sure whether the battery technology in the Olights is the same as my iPhone, but I keep my phone charge at a high level, not often going below 50 to 60%. That has been going on for about 4 years and according to the phone diagnostics, my max attainable charge level is down to 92%, so not too bad.

I think laptop batteries are Li-Ion and it is recommended that they be stored long term at only 50% charge. A bit useless to have you backup laptop battery at 50% when you need it. They definitely bomb out if you keep them fully charged.

Just treat them all as expensive consumables and charge them after every significant session of use.

I just got myself the Olight Seeker 2 Pro and that comes with a (new to me) 21700 battery. Only had it a short time, but it’s a fantastic EDC torch. I don’t know how to post a pic since I ditched photobucket. I can WhatsApp one to you or you can check the website. Warning, this particular one is a custom Olight 21700 battery for this model. 5000 mAh, 3.6 Volt. Turbo beam is 3200 lumens, but the thermal protection will drop output within 2 minutes. My first EDC torch.

My prior home torch is a TM26. A bit big for the pocket with 4 X 18650’s

User

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The batteries are ordinary Li-Ion cells adapted to work with the magnetic charging base of the Olights, so while it is a proprietary battery, they function the same as other rechargeable batteries of the same chemistry.

In short, they are brilliant. They don’t have an unlimited life span, but unlike NiMH batteries they don’t develop a memory from being topped up before being depleted. So keeping them charged is okay, so long as you keep using it. Storing them with a full charge diminishes their lifespan, as far as I understand it.

The Seeker 2 Pro is still on my wishlist!
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Thanks for the info, chaps.

I've been considering the S2R Baton II though I've yet to see it in the flesh. I'm used to charging my phone in the car so for me I'd like to top up the EDC torch while on the go without having to worry about lifespan.

It is a tool so if it needs to be replaced, so be it. As long as that isn't after a couple of weeks/months.

User

Quote Originally Posted by HadEnuf View Post

Thanks for the picture. I see you went with a very subtle colour ;-)

User

As Skaaphaas said the newer batteries does not suffer from memory effect but keep in mind they have x amount of charge cycles before they have to be replaced.

I have a S2R Baton II as well as a Warrior X that have magnetic tail caps as well as a M2R Warrior that does not have tail cap charging. I prefer to charge all my batteries in a Olight Intelicharger.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Davidc View Post
    As Skaaphaas said the newer batteries does not suffer from memory effect but keep in mind they have x amount of charge cycles before they have to be replaced.

I have a S2R Baton II as well as a Warrior X that have magnetic tail caps as well as a M2R Warrior that does not have tail cap charging. I prefer to charge all my batteries in a Olight Intelicharger.

Could you possibly post some pics of the Baton II next to a book or something for comparison purposes?

User

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceOfficer View Post
    Could you possibly post some pics of the Baton II next to a book or something for comparison purposes?
    Will do tonight.

User

I Love my Baton II, compact and very bright. Got it for a steal off takelot

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast