Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Amnestry and new NHSA statement

Hi guys.

Some advice or thoughts.

My oldman forgot to renew his S13 handgun a while back. He still has the green license so I told him not to worry as it remains valid (green). His competency however expired ( handgun) as this is his only handgun.

Now with the amnesty and the NHSA newsletter he is contemplating applying for a new comp and licence.

Can he do so while keeping his handgun as he still has a green license. As I understand with the amnesty one hands in the firearm and applies for a NEW license not a renewal.

I've told him to go see his DFO and go from there but I see no reason he needs to hand the firearm in if he has his green license.

PS he lives alone on a farm and is in his late 60's so definitely not keen to hand it in.

There seem to be a few conflicting recommendations within the firearm association's and specialty firearm lawyers.

Thoughts ?

User

Default Re: Amnestry and new NHSA statement

Nope. He must hand it in and re apply. Best thing to do is to renew his competency in the interim and wait for the main application in the GOSA case to be heard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Davidc View Post
    Nope. He must NOT hand it in and re apply. Best thing to do is to renew his competency in the interim and wait for the main application in the GOSA case to be heard. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    FIXED Lock the firearm in the safe & keep it there...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Teamcam View Post
    FIXED Lock the firearm in the safe & keep it there...
    Yeah, sorry I meant there is no option to keep it with him if he wants to re apply under amnesty.

User

Green license was issues under the old act, and remains valid. Also, there were no wuch thing as competencies under the old act. Thus, I would expect that he's fine, regardless of lapsed white license and competency?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Green license was issues under the old act, and remains valid. Also, there were no wuch thing as competencies under the old act. Thus, I would expect that he's fine, regardless of lapsed white license and competency?
    Hmmm...according to some associations the green licence was invalidated if you migrated to the white cards at the time. They say that the green licence only remains valid if you did not change over.

I would like your statement to be correct. My uncle is in a similar situation.

Quote Originally Posted by iB.PoPo View Post
    Hmmm...according to some associations the green licence was invalidated if you migrated to the white cards at the time. They say that the green licence only remains valid if you did not change over.

I would like your statement to be correct. My uncle is in a similar situation.

I understood similar to you on this regard. That once you received new white card the Green card becomes not valid anymore. And only people who did not apply for the white one. Green cards stayed valid.

One of the reasons I understood it this way. Is that on the Green Card was an issue date.

On the white card is a new issue date. And expiry date. If you renew. The Issue date becomes the new renewal date. To me I understood it as that previous to that issue date what ever other card you had expired.

Secondly since you applied for the white card you in effect applied under the new act and rules. Therefor the green card expired.

This is merely as to how I understood it.

So I am following to see what others say on this who might have better knowledge.

User

This is the crux. He visited his DFO now.

DFO states old green is not valid and not on the system as he moved to the white. Must hand it in, new motivation and competency app as well as ballistics testing. This is an old 357 rollie.

My options were to him:
    Hand in, get comp and new G19 gen 3. Ballistics will take forever.

Keep in safe.

Use as normal with green license.

He doesn't know what to do but honestly being q law abiding citizen I reckon he will hand it in and re apply.

User

He has 2x .22lr that were not captured under the new system and they read as licensed under the old act ( green). All the ones he applied for a new white license don't register on the computer under the green license.

Quote Originally Posted by SBB View Post
    He has 2x .22lr that were not captured under the new system and they read as licensed under the old act ( green). All the ones he applied for a new white license don't register on the computer under the green license.
    This is kinda how I understood it. Once you got the white one. The green one becomes voided.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast