Banned

Default Winchester Mod 61 Pump Action .22 - 1948

Got the card today, collected rifle 37 seconds later. I think the speeding tickets might be a bit costly on this one.
    A really impressive little .22 indeed, holds so nicely that it’s easy to understand how they became so popular.
    Are there any other members who own one of these? I wish to learn of any quirks - "wish I had known" characteristics.
    With weapon being so old parts are non-obtainable and being forewarned is a great advantage.

My son is very excited and evidently we going shooting with it whether the rain stops or not, umbrellas (all of them) are at the door, we are definitely going.

Banned

Default Re: Winchester Mod 61 Pump Action .22 - 1948

I see here in RS of A these rifles sell cheaply R3/3500, in the States they call $750 to $1250.

User

Hi treeman

I have the model before the mod 61.

Mine is the model 1890, take down with octagonal barrel with the year of manufacture 1919.

Nice little rifles, I inherited mine in a sad state from years of abuse and neglect from previous owners. My dad got it from his friends estate and had it standing in the safe intending to rebuild it but never got there due to life's twist and turns.

I had it rebuilt around 18 months back, extensive works but worth it.

They are fun little rifles to shoot.

A little quirk but it gives me a chuckle is that the doppies extract and land on your head...

For not so fresh eyes the original rear sight is a battle, a battle I lost so had a custom side mounted scope mount made and fitted a compact 4x32.
    The only trick I now have is a little flick when cycling to remove the spent case as the scope mount prevents the upwards and out motion of the case.

I looked around for different sights first, the flip up tang mounted peep sight is an option but needs importing and a decent budget but fits neatly.

Skinner sights has a barrel mounted peep sight that could work but would obviously need the barrel drilled and tapped leaving permanent scars.
    The front sight would need changing to match the new height.

If you battle with the rear sight, retro fitting a locally available low profile adjustable LPA or similar sight may help. New sights dovetail can be machined (or filed) to fit barrel dovetail if different.

The loading tube is something to take note of. When empty it has the tendency to "unclip" itself and can fall out unnoticed.
    With a round in the tube there is usually sufficient forward pressure to keep itself engaged or locked.

To remove the action (slide) for cleaning requires a bit of stripping and some tools.

Send me a PM with your number if you want to chat sometime for any further info.

Enjoy the rifle with your son.

Banned

Thank you for your input, that magazine tube info is valuable, lost one like that 30 years ago. I will digest your input and contact you at a later date after using rifle, we are about to go shoot at moment.

Banned

We had some rain issues rain was coming from target towards us, so even the old sit in back of car and shoot was not on - I really wanted to shoot this toy.

My 6 year old has a winny pump and my 9 year old has the same, but the rossi clone. Tons of fun.

Banned

16:57 today we pulled out yard and headed to the range, been raining and blowing and just plain nasty weather all week end. Cody just loves this rifle, its a straight to that light bulb bright smile child's smile by 3 rd shot. He started at bench on bags and finished off last shots standing next to bench stepping forward with each shot. (Range was empty, as you would expect in this weather) You really see the "oh! YEA!" factor dawn on him with each shot. It shoots 2 r/n brands to within 3 cm of each other grouping a bit under a inch with 3 out of 5 shots in less than a cm group at 25 m. It also shoots Guerrilla and Sellior Belliott to same place both brands over lapping to make a less than inch group at 25. The S&B group was smaller and hollow point so I chose it as the hunting brand, when I sat down on bags and shot for "my best ", I shot what looked like a 9 mm Parra hole on the target. Weapon is standard and in good ++ condition - open sights only, will leave it that way.Blerrie hungry for ammo it is though, like a landcruiser on fuel.

User

They really are good fun in an addictive way.
    With being able to take down it becomes a compact piece to move around.

I need to watch for wax coated ammo, mine I found has extraction issues after putting a few Thunderbolts down the pipe and the cases sometimes get stuck when trying to extract.
    Coppers are fine and have no issues.