Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SAPS Lability

User

Default SAPS Lability

The first thing that comes to mind, What do they expect the SAPS member to do while being fired upon.
    This kind of issue has probably happened many times before.
    I'm probably not understanding it correctly, but to my mind if the member did everything reasonably possible to avoid casualties and being killed him/herself even if it means shooting the attacker and accidentally hitting someone then no prosecution should follow an inquest.
    If this is how they wish to treat SAPS members then it makes for a bad precedent
    https://www.iol.co.za/the-star/news/...acker-40725800

Default Re: SAPS Lability

We are accountable for every single round we fire. The police's liability is no different and should be no different. It it were you, you would be in a cell right now.

Indeed, as it is their mandate to protect the public their duty of care may well be higher.

The right to self defence does not extend to the reckless flinging of rounds all about. The police have no special dispensation in this regard, despite what they and their minister might like to believe.

If the media reports are to be believed, and I have a natural and healthy cynicism about the media, this shooting may well have been bad. There are reports of the shots being fired by the police after the suspects had surrendered, the deliberate tampering with the scene and concealment of the police shooter's identity.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

I expect a SAPS member to fire back, people caught in the crossfire is tragic and I don’t know what I’d feel if that was my family, but I do think that if perp, if caught, should be charged with murder as this wouldn’t have happened if he wasn’t there.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

This for me is like the argument about "guns killing people" vs "Bad people using a tool to kill people."

Did the cops cause the whole shooting incident or criminality?

I have no insight in this specific incident and actions by the SAPS, so there may or may not have been wrong doing in this case from a member/s, but to now blame the SAPS is to blame the wrong party. Like blaming guns for killing people.

It seems that the communities anger is now towards SAPS. The anger should be towards the criminals.

User
    In the middle of two mountains, between two oceans.

"No one is above the law. Police officers have been trained as to how to use firearms."

Quoted directly from the above article... classic
    25 rounds a year goes a long way

Just two weeks ago spoke to my police friend who actually does the training of saps members, told me they also incorporating more rifle and shottie training recently

User

Banned

The communities know who the crims are but do not split on them. When that boomerangs it is easier to blame the cops.

User

Accountability? What ever happened to the SF gents attached to CR's protection detail who shot and wounded 5 or 6 civilians,incl an off duty cop about a year ago?

There has been similar convictions in South Africa.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

Quote Originally Posted by curious george View Post
    Accountability? What ever happened to the SF gents attached to CR's protection detail who shot and wounded 5 or 6 civilians,incl an off duty cop about a year ago?
    good question, most of the msm did not even report it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast