Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Strange things animals and pigs do after being shot.

Just for interest.

what have you seen or experienced while shooting warthogs and bush pigs.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Default Re: Funny things animals and pigs do after being shot.

Maybe funny to the 2 Bushpig boars, but not for me. Shot a bushpig sow once as they where passing through their hole in a fence around a land. She was number 4 in the line. No 1 and 2 was 2 big boars. She screamed like mad from the shot before she expired and through the bushes I heard a train coming. They hit the fence right next to me with such force that they bent a Y-Standard like a question mark. If not for the fence it would have been my legs looking like a question mark.

Bushpigs do turn to retaliate.

User

Not funny, but interesting. Shot a warthog, it run straight for about 120m where it had to duck for a fence. That's where he stopped.
    Another warthog - shot in the head. When i got there he was lying on his side but still running like mad. Hind sight - i should have put him on his feet and guided him back to camp.

User

Have also seen a Warthog spin around in circles and kick up a dust storm when shot straight between the eyes. The spinning and kicking went on for quite some time, I would guess 10 seconds?

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Brain shot Warthog does that kicking a lot. If you shot for the brain and a warthog topples over but "keep on running", your shot went true. He is dead as a dodo... Calibre used also does not seem to influence this phenomenon. Have seen this plenty of times with headshots from .22 LR up to .404 Jefferies.

Banned

Default Re: Strange things animals and pigs do after being shot.

Who else has retrieved hogs out trees, twice already had to get a pig out a speck boom that was at an angle and in path.
    I really believe that the hogs are often dead or have lost eyesight after being shot, I have seen them run into tree trunks, up ridiculous inclines so steep that they flip over backward and of course into fences. They sometimes hit the fence so hard that it actually stretch's out where they hit it, or they flip over and get caught off ground on fence.
    They also often run off, only to come back a minute later and stand around looking at the one you shot.

User

Plenty incidents with bushpigs - make sure you always get out of his way, even when shot with a lead slug between the eyes.

As for birds, we once dropped a few Egyptian geese as they decoyed over our spread. They all fell but a few seconds later one got up and proceeded to charge our hide, dead on. Now I have seen them do this on occasion, after seemingly dead, but they always ran away from the hide. This goose was the first one that said ‘stuff that I’m single handedly taking all the hunters down’.

About 10 years ago we had an incident that was a first for me and one which I haven’t heard of before. We did an early morning goose shoot and by about mid day we packed up and loaded all the dead geese in the back of our truck, together with a friend’s GSP.
    About an hour later (probably about 2-3 hours after we shot the last goose) we got home and my friend proceeded to unpack. As he opened the back of the canopy one goose got out and proceeded running down the road making a hell of racket as the GSP was on him in a flash in an upmarket quiet neighborhood where geese, guinea fowl and ducks are roaming free - he has a dam across from his house often visited by people strolling and enjoying the wildfowl. The GSP made short work of the goose and with a big smirk on his face proceeded to retrieve the goose with blood splattering everywhere and in full sight of all the startled neighbours and other onlookers. It was a sight to see as my friend took the bird from the GSP, gave him a good “well done” pat while ringing the gooses’ neck to the horror of everybody present.

User

Quote Originally Posted by WCC View Post
    Plenty incidents with bushpigs - make sure you always get out of his way, even when shot with a lead slug between the eyes.

As for birds, we once dropped a few Egyptian geese as they decoyed over our spread. They all fell but a few seconds later one got up and proceeded to charge our hide, dead on. Now I have seen them do this on occasion, after seemingly dead, but they always ran away from the hide. This goose was the first one that said ‘stuff that I’m single handedly taking all the hunters down’.

About 10 years ago we had an incident that was a first for me and one which I haven’t heard of before. We did an early morning goose shoot and by about mid day we packed up and loaded all the dead geese in the back of our truck, together with a friend’s GSP.
    About an hour later (probably about 2-3 hours after we shot the last goose) we got home and my friend proceeded to unpack. As he opened the back of the canopy one goose got out and proceeded running down the road making a hell of racket as the GSP was on him in a flash in an upmarket quiet neighborhood where geese, guinea fowl and ducks are roaming free - he has a dam across from his house often visited by people strolling and enjoying the wildfowl. The GSP made short work of the goose and with a big smirk on his face proceeded to retrieve the goose with blood splattering everywhere and in full sight of all the startled neighbours and other onlookers. It was a sight to see as my friend took the bird from the GSP, gave him a good “well done” pat while ringing the gooses’ neck to the horror of everybody present.
    Would have loved to see their faces.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Banned

Treeman #6. I have had two instances where a warthog and an impala ram have finished their death dash by running into trees. Both were shot on the shoulder.

User

Well I think it’s fair to assume that the specific damage done would govern the response.
    I have seen animals run out of oxygen in their muscles, meaning they fall over, but they are still alive, moving their heads when on the ground, I’ve never kept a record but logic says lung shots can cause this.
    Other times the arteries supplying blood to the brain itself must be damaged, since they seem to black out whiles still having blood in their muscles, could account for them running into stuff during their death sprints.
    That is of course speculation since I’ve seen all sorts of healthy animals run into things after a scare.

Solitary male warthog for example seems to spin around more than females when shot on the lungs, they tend to spin in the direction of the bullet impact. I can only attribute this to being far from a burrow when out foraging, trying to put tusk between attacker. This of course if they were unaware of you before the shot, if aware before the shot they just run till they fall over regardless. When you want to shoot a group of pigs, shoot the female first. The female will leave the piglets behind, but the piglets themselves will stop to see where the female is if she goes down, then you often get a shot on them as well.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast