Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    Banned

Arrow Re: Warthog that drop, then run.

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    A few years ago we had, what we thought then, was a great idea that would benefit local hunters and help us with our work. We offered hunts where a hunter only paid for accommodation and a small day fee and he could then hunt certain species, mostly warthog, springbok and blesbuck, we kept the carcasses (for an endangered predator project) and the hunter got some hunting experience without having to pay per animal. This degenerated into an unmitigated cluster fuck. Otherwise responsible hunters took reckless shots and went to no or very little effort to find wounded animals. We stopped that project after one season and I came away with a very different view on the ethics of hunters.
    Sorry about that
    As the old saw goes -- NO good deed goes unpunished
    Perhaps make it a lottery -- so that there is some work / luck involved ( be appreciated more ? )
    Perhaps one should have set up a "vetting" procedure first -- test out these "hunters"
    Send them out into the field on the first day with a "chaperone"
    Make invitation to -- next years "free" hunt -- depended on the way THIS years hunt is conducted ..
    I am afraid some -- city dwelling South Africans can become a little "trigger-crazy"

User

Default Re: Warthog that drop, then run.

Quote Originally Posted by Brenneke View Post
    I understand you are doing quite a good job of -- SHOOTING them ?
    I do a good job of shooting them, correct, however I do not do a good job at controlling their numbers.

Warthog are not like springbok which you can chase around in a camp and shoot them all out, they run and they are gone, you might not even see them again that day, that is why you don’t see pro’s doing it.
    Nature requires balance, right now we have no predators left, so there are 2 enemies for warthog, a natural enemy in the form of drought, and the unnatural one in the form of humans. Farmers shoot “at” hogs they can see, they don’t shoot at the 99% they do not. Even if you get a pro in, the pro cannot be stationary, he will have to move around, and, he will be shooting at moving animals as well, and despite skill or profession animals will be wounded.

So one of your questions as to why the population boom, that is merely an imbalance in nature, a manmade one.
    Will a bunch of hunters control their numbers?
    Never, it might work here and there but not everybody is a T-stone, you get regular okes as well, along with the mentioned clusterf@cks.

User

Default Re: Warthog that drop, then run.

The most effective way to cull a lot of warthog quickly is from a helicopter with a buckshot loaded shotgun. I had the opportunity once to shoot hogs from a helicopter, and as long as they can't reach their holes they can't really get away in open terrain. Helicopters are expensive though.

Banned

Lightbulb Re: Warthog that drop, then run.

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    The most effective way to cull a lot of warthog quickly is from a helicopter with a buckshot loaded shotgun. I had the opportunity once to shoot hogs from a helicopter, and as long as they can't reach their holes they can't really get away in open terrain. Helicopters are expensive though.
    Can they not be baited at a hide like Bush pig ?

I do know just the aircraft though ...

The -- DRAGONFLY

https://www.bydanjohnson.com/workhor...rial-work-lsa/

Yes I have flown in one -- incredible machine -- for slow flying // Very quiet // two-up Pilot and gunner

Perhaps we will come and shoot the warthog for you ( and others )

Banned

Question Re: Warthog that drop, then run.

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Nature requires balance, right now we have no predators left, so there are 2 enemies for warthog, a natural enemy in the form of drought, and the unnatural one in the form of humans.
    IF I understand the prime predator for warthog is / was the Leopard ?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5