Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Warthog that drop, then run.

I once shot a warthog where I hit it a bit
    high, just above the centerline, higher than where I normally aim for a buck (in the chest 1/3 from the bottom). The pig fell down on the spot but it started spin around on its side. I shot it again in the head. During the butcherring process I found that the 180gr soft point went through the top part of the rib, hit the bottom of the spine, then went through the rib on the other side and made a bump against the skin on that side. If I shot a bit lower the bullet would have went between the lungs and the spine and if the shot was a bit higher it would have been only a flesh wound and in both instances the pig would probably survived that shot. (PMP Brown box 308W 180gr soft point and the weight retention was nearly 80% after breaking 2 ribs and a spine).

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by akading View Post
    having been shot myself, I can first hand tell you that a shot packs one hell of a kick. I firmly believe that a shot can knock them over.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    He posted his story here on gunsite, was around 2015.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Maroelas View Post
    He posted his story here on gunsite, was around 2015.
    ################
    I was awaiting the response to the "knock them over" bit, it usually gets very exiting - scientific and explanatory.
    I remember one statement that stuck in my mind from a post of many years back where I asked this question regarding animals being knocked over by impact.
    There was a poster (not a fool), who explained energy and momentum etc etc and ended by saying that there is more energy in a tin of coke than in a traveling bullet.
    All stuff way above me of course but was seriously time reading for the likes of myself.
    OP being shot? - I have no reason to question his statement.

User

Treeman

Bullet impact energy demonstration, what do you make of it?

Banned

Pretty much what the guys discussed a few years back, I asked if my 308 NM could knock a hog promoting in its falling over. The question lead to much debate regarding energy, potential energy and momentum.
    In short we on site then agreed that a bullet has no knocking over, down or hitting off feet affect. The statement that a can of coke had more energy in it than a flying bullet just stuck in my mind.
    I also remember the conclusion that the bullet could not hit harder than the recoil.

User

Physics: you cannot (with a bullet anyhow) create more energy than with what you started with.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    Physics: you cannot (with a bullet anyhow) create more energy than with what you started with.
    has anyone told Eskom about this little Physics law

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    I also remember the conclusion that the bullet could not hit harder than the recoil.
    You cannot compare recoil with impact energy.

If you shoot a 150gr bullet at 2800ft/s in a 308 weighing 9 pounds you sit with a recoil energy of 13.99 ft.lbf, and a recoil velocity of 10 fps.
    If you shoot a 150gr bullet at 2800ft/s in a 308 weighing 12 pounds you sit with a recoil energy of 10.49 ft.lbf. and a recoil velocity of 7.5 fps.

We cannot break the laws of physics, but that is not even part of this discussion, in shooting we CHOOSE the recoil we want, and it’s got nothing to do with the impact energy.
    Ever seen how little a good 50 cal recoils with its 13 000 ft.lbf?

Banned

Thumbs down Re: Warthog that drop, then run.

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    We had a warthog infestation in the area a couple of years ago and had time to hunt often, so I shot many warthog. I counted 70 in one year, but stopped counting after that.
    The problem subsided when someone resorted to poisoning them. Bloody idiot, I was having fun.
    I find the poisoning of ANYTHING highly disturbing .. the recourse of unfeeling savages unable or disinterested in trying to find an alternative !
    As far as I am concerned this should be completely illegal

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast