Page 170 of 221 FirstFirst ... 70 120 160 168 169 170 171 172 180 220 ... LastLast
Results 1,691 to 1,700 of 2209
    User

Default Re: Coronavirus. Already here?

I kind of live on aircraft, or did since we were grounded, but I do get air from a source before it gets into the rest of the cabin at least. Once the aircraft is up and running it's actually fine (or, maybe, 'not so bad') - there are 'recirculation' fans, but depending on altitude and cabin pressure settings (automatically controlled normally), you're actually getting mostly fresh air. This in on the B737, I would imagine it's pretty similar on an Airbus A320. The air is provided by the air conditioning packs after being tapped off the high pressure sections of the engine compressors, and fed into the cabin via a few mixing manifolds, distributed from the floor vents, and the overhead vents. The air flows towards the rear, where the outflow valve is located, from whence it leaves the aircraft. Any recirculated air goes through the HEPA filters. Just don't get too intimate with the people next to you, and hopefully it's all good.

The reason they will lean towards allowing full flights, is that nobody can make any money if they drop to 66% loads - the 737 and equivalent are all 3 abreast seating (3-aisle-3), and keeping the center seat open means companies which are already bleeding will simply go bankrupt if they fly. Profit margins are wafer thin at the best of times. Since this government has done it's absolute best to destroy commercial aviation with this lockdown, companies are now desperate. Comair (BA and Kulula) is in business rescue and plans to start in November when hopefully there are no serious restrictions, SAA is as well (BR), but is also a massive dumpster fire, and of course needs (and will get) billions of taxpayers money, Safair HAS to start operating or make some other plan etc etc...it's a disastrous industry to be in. I realise this seems to put the profit motive above safety, but the risk is limited, more of a threat in the terminal building, and as I said, nobody can fly otherwise.

User

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Nothing yet, no flu shot.

That is the thing I was wondering, getting sick is not a bad thing, getting sick is a good thing, it makes you stronger. Children need to be at school the whole year, they need to mingle, pick up viruses and bacteria and build their immunity, we are not having any of that now. Us grown ups with our weaker immune systems, if we are going to hide behind our masks and hand sanitizers I am worried we are going to completely break down our immune systems.

I see currently scientists believe that some people have some kind of T cells combating sars-cov 2 since they developed it when their bodies came across other corona viruses in the past, like sars or mers, they call it cross-reactivity or something.

So now I am sitting here wondering what’s going to happen in the future, we see people talking about how humanity will never go back to the old ways, some people wants to wear masks permanently. There is a million unknown viruses running around in animals, sooner or later one of them will hit us again, and if we have been hiding behind our masks and hand sanitizers how will we deal with that viruses and our weak ass immune systems then?

We’ve been on this planet for a long time, we are specifically biologically designed to deal with viruses by directly dealing with viruses, not hiding from them, it’s like we are currently in some de-evolving cycle.

User

There was a pediatric pulmonologist (kiddies lung-doc) on Fokus the other night. She said the pro's of sending the kids back to school FAR outweight the con's at this stage. She made it clear that it was good for the first 3 weeks, to prep, but she also said that they're going a ton of damage to kids with this current restrictions.

She mentioned some interesting numbers as well. She something along the lines of: In a certain period now, 9 kids died of COVID-19 in the US, and in the same period, 131 (or something close to that) kids died from pneumonia. She also said that in that same time, something like 1,300 kids died from other causes. (I may have misheard that 1,300 number a bit).

Point is, kids aren't at risk. Send them to school.

User

Problem is not the kids getting sick and dying. They are spreaders. They pickup the virus at school, be asymptomatic and brings it back home to mom, dad and grandparents.

User

Quote Originally Posted by janfred View Post
    Problem is not the kids getting sick and dying. They are spreaders. They pickup the virus at school, be asymptomatic and brings it back home to mom, dad and grandparents.
    Unless the rest of the family is holed up in a bunker while the kids are at school this is a non-issue, you will have got it from going to work/shops etc long before you will get it from kids.

If you have school age kids you are most likely in the low risk group and have a healthy immune system already, if you didn't you would be dead by now - kids are like plague rats they spread whatever is going around, especially the younger ones.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Most people do not realise this as you expl.. and it is a real danger.
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User

There has been a lot of grocery store workers testing positive, we are long past the point of no return.
    Unless you can stay in your house and have literally everything brought to you, there is no point any more.

I know what I'm going to say won't be well received, but I'm really doubting the infectiousness of this virus.
    It's a tiny and insignificant sample, but I read a write up a while back on two people that were interviewed after being placed in quarantine in Cape Town.
    It wasn't the comments on the quarantine site, but the conditions that the sick people came from that I found interesting.
    The first case, stayed in a one room shack with her husband. He did not contract the virus, despite staying with his wife for 5 days while waiting for the result and before she was moved to quarantine.
    The second case, grocery store worker that lived in a one room shack with 3 other colleagues. She was the only one out of the four that contracted the virus.

Small sample, but tell me again why I can't have my haircut?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gleock View Post
    There has been a lot of grocery store workers testing positive, we are long past the point of no return.
    Unless you can stay in your house and have literally everything brought to you, there is no point any more.

I know what I'm going to say won't be well received, but I'm really doubting the infectiousness of this virus.
    It's a tiny and insignificant sample, but I read a write up a while back on two people that were interviewed after being placed in quarantine in Cape Town.
    It wasn't the comments on the quarantine site, but the conditions that the sick people came from that I found interesting.
    The first case, stayed in a one room shack with her husband. He did not contract the virus, despite staying with his wife for 5 days while waiting for the result and before she was moved to quarantine.
    The second case, grocery store worker that lived in a one room shack with 3 other colleagues. She was the only one out of the four that contracted the virus.

Small sample, but tell me again why I can't have my haircut?
    Remember now, some people might actually be immune against this, like I described in my previous post.
    The test they conduct does not test for antibodies, it tests vir viral RNA only.
    Also, we know this has been in SA much longer than is being claimed, if you had this 6 months ago will there still be traces of the virus in your body?
    80% of people does not show any symptoms when encountering the virus, they just kill it, hence the only time we will ever get meaningful data is if, and that is a big if, all the people in SA are tested for antibodies.

User

That is true, but should we change the way the world functions for that? Most old people that are healthy don't die from covid. It is people that have other serious health issues. These people are at risk of most illneses and if they want to prolong their life should take appropriate action. But if we break the system that helps support them in a billion other ways they are going to be worse off anyway.

I don't get it. Obviously we should protect vulnerable people at the end of their life, but not by killing a 1000 times more healthy people in the middle of theirs.

Some people think that this is an opportunity to change the world into something better... That is very novel, but without people working and being productive we are going to be running out of useful stuff very quickly. Then the poor soles that everyone is so worried about are going to die. Some think that nature is going to revive. In Africa and just about everywhere else every living creature will be consumed out of desperation first.

Could the world be a better place? Definitely. Is this the way to make it so? Definitely not! If we continue on this course the elite of the world will own everything and the remaining population will not be able to do anything.

Famine has happened before and the people that planned it's coming will eventually own everything. Read Genesis 47. all the people of Egypt was brought into servitude for the Pharaoh. The people sold all that they had for food until they had nothing left but their life.

User

Quote Originally Posted by KK20 View Post
    Most people do not realise this as you expl.. and it is a real danger.
    I am convinced the sudden drop in our reported cases around the 26th of March was because of school closures.

Page 170 of 221 FirstFirst ... 70 120 160 168 169 170 171 172 180 220 ... LastLast