Page 2 of 221 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Coronavirus. Already here?

With the theory of it stemming from animal consumption, one has to wonder why we haven't had any outbreaks of viral infections. Go to Durban victoria Muthi market and have a gander at the animals being consumed, from snakes to dried vulture brains for snuff.

User

Quote Originally Posted by GAZZAMCK View Post
    With the theory of it stemming from animal consumption, one has to wonder why we haven't had any outbreaks of viral infections. Go to Durban victoria Muthi market and have a gander at the animals being consumed, from snakes to dried vulture brains for snuff.
    I think the problem is with LIVE animal markets. So a certain virus, that cannot be transmitted form say a bat to a human, but can jump from a bat to a rat, and then from a rat to a pig, and from pig to human. At least that is how I understand it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by thereaper View Post
    I think the problem is with LIVE animal markets. So a certain virus, that cannot be transmitted form say a bat to a human, but can jump from a bat to a rat, and then from a rat to a pig, and from pig to human. At least that is how I understand it.
    Correct. Certain animals like pigs and birds play host to viruses which can be transmitted to humans. These viruses mutate all the time depending on a wide variety of factors.

One of the factors that contributes to weird and wonderful mutations, are animals and humans from far and wide congregating in large numbers. It increases the chance of similar and different strains of a virus infecting a person or animal. Most of the time these mutations make no difference, but every now and again there is one that has the potential to do some serious damage.

While a killer virus has potential to kill many millions of people, the bigger threat at the moment is antibiotics resistant bacteria.

User

Quote Originally Posted by thereaper View Post
    Understood, but the reality is those animals were handled and alive at some point, also butchered bush meat of ebola carriers was a major cause up in the continent

My mate is probably going to leave his wife and new born in RSA when he goes back to shanghai

User

It’s amazing how people can worry so much about a virus, yet forget what the body needs to fight off viruses and infections. You need a healthy lifestyle, a normal weight, regular exercise, enough sun, and none of that smoking stuff. If you read the articles you’ll see most of the dead were already immune compromised.

Just live healthy, and worry less.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

#15 for gold
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User

Don't think there would be much hope in worrying to be honest, Flu like symptoms, up to 14 days to show symptoms?
    South Africa has some of the most hardcore TB cases in the world, coupled with meningitis, so much so that when we had a staff member come down with it
    we all had to get tested

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    It’s amazing how people can worry so much about a virus, yet forget what the body needs to fight off viruses and infections. You need a healthy lifestyle, a normal weight, regular exercise, enough sun, and none of that smoking stuff. If you read the articles you’ll see most of the dead were already immune compromised.

Exactly.

Most of the deceased are elderly and in bad physical shape anyway.

Much like the Spanish flu actually took down those who didn't rest when infected. Those who did, were fine, those who did not, died.

Just stay healthy, rest early and long and this will pass

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post

Like a population with compromised immune systems due to AIDS and TB?

Page 2 of 221 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast