Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    User
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Age
    24
    Posts
    203

    Default Shotgun Magazine Spring: OEM vs Trimming to Length

    I'm looking for a magazine spring for my Mossberg 500 with a 20 inch barrel and flush fitting magazine tube (7+1). Ideally if anyone can point me in the direction of a shop with stock of an OEM spring or what is the consensus on purchasing a good quality alternative brand (eg. Briley) and trimming to size?

  2. #2
    User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    West Coast
    Age
    52
    Posts
    1,705

    Default Re: Shotgun Magazine Spring: OEM vs Trimming to Length

    Try Hailstorm, Spartan Arms or DSG. When you get 1, use it for a while before cutting it because the spring takes time to settle and shrink. I've heard of cases where the guy cut his spring but after settling in, it became too short. My pump action's spring is but about 100mm longer than my mag tube with extension on and it still works 100% .

  3. #3
    User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Sandton
    Posts
    487

    Default Re: Shotgun Magazine Spring: OEM vs Trimming to Length

    Necro-ish post but this may still be useful.

    I got an extra long spring for my Mossberg 930 from Shooting Stuff. I trimmed it down progressively till it took full capacity without bottoming out. It's worked flawlessly for more than 1500 rounds since.

  4. #4
    User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    West Coast
    Age
    52
    Posts
    1,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    Necro-ish post but this may still be useful.

    I got an extra long spring for my Mossberg 930 from Shooting Stuff. I trimmed it down progressively till it took full capacity without bottoming out. It's worked flawlessly for more than 1500 rounds since.
    How much longer is your spring than your mag tube?

  5. #5
    User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Sandton
    Posts
    487

    Default Re: Shotgun Magazine Spring: OEM vs Trimming to Length

    Haven't got it handy to check but at a guess I'd say between 100 and 125mm. That's on a tube that holds 7 x 2 3/4 inch shells.

    Can confirm tonight if you'd like?

  6. #6
    User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    West Coast
    Age
    52
    Posts
    1,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    Haven't got it handy to check but at a guess I'd say between 100 and 125mm. That's on a tube that holds 7 x 2 3/4 inch shells.

    Can confirm tonight if you'd like?
    No problem, my SAT8 used to have a spring double the length of the tube, that was a bit overkill and a bitch to load. But it is a lot shorter now but still work 100

  7. #7
    User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    In the middle of two mountains, between two oceans.
    Posts
    614

    Default Re: Shotgun Magazine Spring: OEM vs Trimming to Length

    Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    How much longer is your spring than your mag tube?
    I got a spring from DSG, i checked on the intterwebs and its recommended the spring should be at least 12" longer than the tube without double feeding shells.
    i used a 16mm threaded bar and a big washer and compressed the spring a few times( maybe 30 times) to settle it then cut it to 15" longer than the tube. I started from full length and trimmed down progressively til i reached a good balance, remember the spring also needs some space in the front of the tube when fully compressed.
    My Win 1300 defender is now a 10 + 1 capacity

  8. #8
    User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    West Coast
    Age
    52
    Posts
    1,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SamL View Post
    I got a spring from DSG, i checked on the intterwebs and its recommended the spring should be at least 12" longer than the tube without double feeding shells.
    i used a 16mm threaded bar and a big washer and compressed the spring a few times( maybe 30 times) to settle it then cut it to 15" longer than the tube. I started from full length and trimmed down progressively til i reached a good balance, remember the spring also needs some space in the front of the tube when fully compressed.
    My Win 1300 defender is now a 10 + 1 capacity
    Thats interesting, I get 9.5+1 70mm cartridges in mine With a 160mm long Tacstar extension tube. That is without ghost loading.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •