Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default which rifle, curious to hear your thoughts

I know this question is going to get me a load of different responses and opinions. I have done quite a bit of research and there's a ton of different opinions out there. I'm just curious to hear some more opinions.

I'm looking to purchase a long distance precision rifle in the next year or so. I want something that's going to hit gongs out to 1000m, maybe a bit more.

My first question is calibre, 6.5 creedmore, 300 wimag, 260 or 308.

And then I've looked at the following 3 rifles and each have their own positives and negatives

Sako TRG 22
    Savage elite precision
    Tikka TX3 tac A1

I know all of these can easily do 1000m

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Default Re: which rifle, curious to hear your thoughts

Off the choices you gave I would just change the 300 WinMag to a 300 H&H.

Tikka Rifle. Why? No specific reason of being better than the other for the purpose. I just like the Tikka more than the rest just the same as I like blue more than yellow.

User

Either 260 or 6.5CM should get to 1000 supersonic. 308 will depend on barrel length/twist and bullet choice. 300WM will definately get to 1000m.

TRG, Savage then Tikka in order of preference from a pure shooting perspective. Very difficult to beat a TRG out of the box in terms of "shootability".

I prefer the MDT chasis that the Savage comes in, but prefer Tikka action.

Final choice will also depend on exactly what you intend to do with the rifle.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

User

So I have no experience with either rifle but those are all 3 great looking rifles. I have watched loads of youtube videos tje last 6 montjs of Gavin Toobe - ultimate reloader, Pieter Malan - Imapct Shootin/Piet Skiet and Eric Cortina

The one thing that they say about caliber is go smaller for recoil, to track bullet flight, and to resuce fatigue. So saying that with your options id say 6.5CM

On which rifle, go for the one that you think looks the best, in performance I doubt there would be a difference. If you consider doing PRS or similar matches one with Mloc and ability to add Arca rail might be best, the foldibg stock travels easier, but tje Sako is a classic.

Hope I helped.

Banned

Ruger RPR ignited a lot of producers to supply their own LR rifles.

User

I do not like the Savage recoil lug. I find it difficult to choose between the Tika and the Sako.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Quote Originally Posted by janfred View Post
    I do not like the Savage recoil lug. I find it difficult to choose between the Tika and the Sako.
    Aren’t Tikka and Sako pretty much the same. Both made in the same factory? Kind of like CZ550 vs CZ550Lux.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

I would say between Sako and Tikka, there is no real difference. Same factory with Sako being the more classic, luxury line. All my rifles are Sako or Tikka (so probably biased?). I don't really know savage so can't comment on it.

I would however look at the calibre which would give you the most rounds before the barrel is shot out. The round count quickly adds up once you start shooting PRS matches. I have the 6.5CM Tikka, its awesome.

I would always choose 308. Very accurate caliber. Easy to load accurate. Very long barrel life. And a very good hunter as well.

Also you can shoot it all day with no issues. If you go 300 you will shoot less.

I have a remington 700 vssf inside a MDT Chasis with a Bix n Andy trigger.

If you want to leave rifle standard. Look at Sako. About 2 years back. But with licensing 1 year back. Bought a Sako 85 222rem for my daughter of 13 to start of with. Sako's are just built in a different class over others. Very visible when you take out of stock and look at machining and design of all. Same with Tikka.

Howa. No one will convince me on these. No matter results.

Thanks all for the thoughts. I like the look of all 3 but am tending towards the sako trg a bit. It's cheaper than the savage and doesn't have the extraction issues that seem to be a problem with the savage.

I do like the idea of the the 308 due to the barrel life.

I've actually seen a video from markandsam in australia and they did a 270 which they took out to 1600m I think it was. But that was a custom rifle so not likely to get it standard.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast