Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Safe to use Teflon-Coated bullets in a Glock 23 or CZ 75

Quote Originally Posted by PietSkiet2 View Post
    Is it worth it for 17-30c cheaper per bullet? (You can get CMJ's for 970/1000)(I can cast and hi-tek coat my own bullets for 20c each do I do that? No it is to much PT rather pay 77c more for CMJ's)(Not that I cast for other calibers that I safe more than R5 a bullet)
    Well, money aside i would choose copper plated bullets any day of the week for practical reasons shooting handguns that is for now..

However if you are a bit cash strapped with a lot of "Irons in the Fire'' it would be hard to ignore the price & function of teflon coated bullets in your arsenal..
    Oh yes i can go and buy a jig,cast my own bullets,stick to Somchem powder,buy the cheapest bulk pack primers..just to save every penny i have..but that's just me or other member/non member maybe aswell..

in the meantime i will be using IMR powder,Federal primers,..the bullets we have to see..
    Hence i wanted some input from Members with experience with these bullets as per thread

User

Is it worth it for 17-30c cheaper per bullet? (You can get CMJ's for 970/1000)(I can cast and hi-tek coat my own bullets for 20c each do I do that? No it is to much PT rather pay 77c more for CMJ's)(Not that I cast for other calibers that I safe more than R5 a bullet)
    Forgot to ask where will i be able to find the above mentioned should i pass the teflon bullets all together
    i am based near Eastrand Mall ets..?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bismarck 1941 View Post
    Well, money aside i would choose copper plated bullets any day of the week for practical reasons shooting handguns that is for now..
    Coated bullets offer some advantages over CMJ:
    1. They are generally cheaper.
    2. Bullet weight being equal, you'll get more velocity for the same powder charge. Which means you'll be able to use less powder to make PF.

Not much of an issue if you only shoot a couple of hundred rounds a year, but it starts adding up once you shoot hundreds of rounds every week.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    Coated bullets offer some advantages over CMJ:
    1. They are generally cheaper.
    2. Bullet weight being equal, you'll get more velocity for the same powder charge. Which means you'll be able to use less powder to make PF.

Not much of an issue if you only shoot a couple of hundred rounds a year, but it starts adding up once you shoot hundreds of rounds every week.
    Thanks Socrates,,useful information
    Long term wise of usage of the Coated bullets..Is there any negative aspect when compared to Copper coated bullets??

User

Just asking - saving R17 per 100, R170 per 1000? (=3 less KFC takeout per year)

If you really want to save get the casting equipment and make your own hi-tek coated boolits for 20c and bring your reloaded 9mm round's cost down to about R1.50 a reload. But for me like I said I rather pay 77c more for CMJ's and cast for other calibers where I save R500+ per 100 or R5000+ per 1000.

You don't need fancy stuff to start casting. A Lee 9mm mold, a cast iron pot, a RCBS or Lyman (not LEE) ladle and a 2 plate or gas burner. A small toaster oven that can hold temperature to bake the hi-tek coating. (The 2 plate for R199 is working I casted 100's of boolits with it before getting the Lee 4/20 bottom pour pot)

Not to get of topic here. Why pay R800/1000 if you can make them with a better coating for R200/1000?
    With the R600 saving on the first 1000 you can get all the casting goodies.

User

It all depends how much time you have. Casting and coating your own effectively halves the cost of ammo, discounting the equipment costs.

Also, if you only shoot 1000 rounds a year, sure, go and buy them. But there are a few guys out there who shoot semi-seriously that easily blast through 20 000+ rounds a year. If you are one of them, the savings can get you to 40 000 rounds a year. More bullets = Better at it.

User

Just asking - saving R17 per 100, R170 per 1000? (=3 less KFC takeout per year)

If you really want to save get the casting equipment and make your own hi-tek coated boolits for 20c and bring your reloaded 9mm round's cost down to about R1.50 a reload. But for me like I said I rather pay 77c more for CMJ's and cast for other calibers where I save R500+ per 100 or R5000+ per 1000.

You don't need fancy stuff to start casting. A Lee 9mm mold, a cast iron pot, a RCBS or Lyman (not LEE) ladle and a 2 plate or gas burner. A small toaster oven that can hold temperature to bake the hi-tek coating. (The 2 plate for R199 is working I casted 100's of boolits with it before getting the Lee 4/20 bottom pour pot)

Not to get of topic here. Why pay R800/1000 if you can make them with a better coating for R200/1000?
    With the R600 saving on the first 1000 you can get all the casting goodies.
    i think by now i can actually change the title of my started topic to:" Save by switching to own-casted bullets instead of buying Teflon/Copper plated ones @ the Gunshop"..Pheew sorry for the long title..Just kidding all Good

Long term yes i will be getting all the equipment to cast my own etc.
    I actually can maybe orgenise a OL Primus-Parrafin fired stove for melting the lead in the meantime..Burns a lot Hotter than gas/elecric..

User

Are we factoring in the health costs too..?

Casting thousands of rounds in your garage, pretty soon you will be shooting blanks, and your liver might not work as well as it used to.

I prefer the factory that's set up for the risk mitigation, to do the job for me thankyouverrymuch.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bismarck 1941 View Post
    Thanks Socrates,,useful information
    Long term wise of usage of the Coated bullets..Is there any negative aspect when compared to Copper coated bullets??
    As far as the coating itself goes, it's cleaner shooting than copper. It has a lower coefficient of friction than copper and bonds solidly to the lead if done right. (Which you would assume paying money for it)

There are two types of coatings:
    1) Powder coating - as used in the automotive / boating / construction etc industries

2) Hi-Tek which is exclusively used for bullet coatings IIRC. While giving the same results, this coating is closer to an epoxy than a powder coating. There are guys in the US forums using this coating in loads developed for AR15 and 30 cal hunting rifles. I suspect that your "Teflon" bullets may actually be a Hi-Tek coating. (I'm open to correction).

User

Quote Originally Posted by Sicario View Post
    Are we factoring in the health costs too..?

Casting thousands of rounds in your garage, pretty soon you will be shooting blanks, and your liver might not work as well as it used to.

I prefer the factory that's set up for the risk mitigation, to do the job for me thankyouverrymuch.
    Like all things in life, if done wrongly it will have bad consequences. Like casting in your garage with no ventilation or protective gear.

Dick on the forum has a great Manuel on casting, and willingly shares tips on doing it safely.

There is a substantial investment cost in the beginning, and finding the right alloy could also be a bit of an issue. You also need to factor in the value of your time.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast