Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Video & Article: "'Customer' kills alleged robber in barbershop shootout in Pretoria"

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    Strictly according to the Law you are correct, but reality in RSA is like that. ASAP a murder is docket is opened. Correct or not, that is what is happening.
    Nope.

Not in my direct experience.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Default Re: Video & Article: "'Customer' kills alleged robber in barbershop shootout in Pretoria"

SSP is correct. The rule is that an Inquest Docket is opened and an inquest is investigated and eventually goes to court where the court will most probably rule that the deceased died of specific wounds which he sustained during a specific incident but that no one will be prosecuted due to reasons such as self defence being legal etc.There are exceptions where the police (or specific police members) try to nail someone for murder when it was in fact not a murder. The courts have in ALL such cases that I know of changed the "charge" to Inquest. And a normal inquest was held. If anyone has a specific case they can share where a person was successfully prosecuted for murder when he in fact acted in self defence... please share the details. I will go and visit the person involved in jail. Otherwise please stop spreading bullshit you read in the popular media.And a murder docket being opened for a vehicle accident that kills someone is also bullshit. A case of reckless and negligent driving and culpable homicide is opened and investigated, just like an inquest. Murder is when you intentionally and illegally run over and kill another person. If you intentionally run over / ram an armed robber shooting at you then it would be self defence, and an inquest would be opened.

User

Quote Originally Posted by New View Post
    Sounds like the hero customer did not stick around... Not a good idea...
    Sounds like a dodgy source.

User

Good on the hero for being his own first responder and for protecting the lives of his nephew and the patrons and staff at the premises.

Reports suggest the thugs had cased the business earlier in the day. One must be vigilant at all times.

User

The problem is that journalists are ignorant of the difference between Inquest and murder docket.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
    The problem is that journalists are ignorant of the difference between Inquest and murder docket.
    And one must wonder whether that's willful ignorance.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Quote Originally Posted by M43 View Post
    SSP is correct. The rule is that an Inquest Docket is opened and an inquest is investigated and eventually goes to court where the court will most probably rule that the deceased died of specific wounds which he sustained during a specific incident but that no one will be prosecuted due to reasons such as self defence being legal etc.There are exceptions where the police (or specific police members) try to nail someone for murder when it was in fact not a murder. The courts have in ALL such cases that I know of changed the "charge" to Inquest. And a normal inquest was held. If anyone has a specific case they can share where a person was successfully prosecuted for murder when he in fact acted in self defence... please share the details. I will go and visit the person involved in jail. Otherwise please stop spreading bullshit you read in the popular media.And a murder docket being opened for a vehicle accident that kills someone is also bullshit. A case of reckless and negligent driving and culpable homicide is opened and investigated, just like an inquest. Murder is when you intentionally and illegally run over and kill another person. If you intentionally run over / ram an armed robber shooting at you then it would be self defence, and an inquest would be opened.
    "The courts have in ALL such cases that I know of changed the "charge" to Inquest." = That is what happens according to my experience in our part of the country. Even a warning shot gets a docket for "Attempted murder" (I have personal experience with this case.)

Myself have also been almost arrested once when I was shooting a warthog in the orchards, a person was walking in the public road 800 m to my back side. He saw my bakkie, not even myself. He went to the SAPS and they helped him open a case of.... "Attempted Murder." Apparently I shot at him.

The shooter is a client of mine.
    He fired 4 shots, all four hit the perp.
    G32, 357 SIG, Gold Dots.
    His firearm was confiscated for testing.
    He is best who is trained in the severest school! Fear no man.

User

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceOfficer View Post
    Sounds like a dodgy source.

Yepp... Some sensationalist headlines going around. "Wanted for murder" etc.... Creates the idea that he is on the run. Good click bait though...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    The shooter is a client of mine.
    He fired 4 shots, all four hit the perp.
    G32, 357 SIG, Gold Dots.
    His firearm was confiscated for testing.
    Did he fire all four shots at the one guy or did he also fire at the guy in white closest to the door?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast