Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: DM4 Torture test

Quote Originally Posted by GAZZAMCK View Post
    Funnily enough the one gun to fail a mud test on "in range" was the AK, that lit up the youtube comments
    Yes, I remember this, the outcry was funny for so many wrong reasons

I do have quite a bit of experience on weapons on field conditions and I've come to conclusion that every small arms weapon system fails the moment its trigger mechanism is introduced with sand and other hard foreign objects. Sometimes it takes just one pebble like I've seen happen with various revolvers, sometimes it takes more.

The original AR15 went through much more stringent tests than that

User

If I were Dave Sheer, I would ask them to take the video down.

User

In all these AR tests, why is the dust cover always closed when they chuck sand on the rifle?
    Surley they want the dust cover open to show how it can function with dust in the action

User

Quote Originally Posted by SeanG View Post
    In all these AR tests, why is the dust cover always closed when they chuck sand on the rifle?
    Surley they want the dust cover open to show how it can function with dust in the action
    In the words of Greta, How dare you!!!

But yes I agree, the results could be very different with the dust cover open

Fire rifle on target. Then do all these test. Fire it again to show if any change. Leave a day or so and try again. And see which springs and parts rusted themselves silly inside.

You should see on a Sunday Airsoft game the abuse airsoft rifles take. Made to way less standards. And they keep performing. And yes they have eqaully as many moving parts inside especially the Blow Back models.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SeanG View Post
    It isn't always closed (check the InRange test for one) and it doesn't really matter much. The AR is designed to have relatively tight clearances, thus the sand and mud doesn't find its way easily there where it does real damage, i.e. the trigger mechanism.

The fact that an AK has "big tolerances" (sic!, the people are actually talking about clearances) is due to spotty quality control in the land of Soviet Republics and making it safe to mass produce these weapons, not so much an idea to make the rifle "inaccurate (sic! again) but reliable".

BTW, an AK does have a dust cover, it's better known as a "selector", but it doesn't do the job as well as the one on an AR.

The real "torture test" would include shooting during a time period of at least two days, have at least one ambush/counter ambush drill, a few standard light infantry drills, movement through adverse conditions. This is when the AR/M-16 fails to keep up with an AK: the moment it loses it's lubrication, is filled with CLP/carbon gunk, buffer tube breathing hole plugged with goo, the rifle becomes more or less inoperable. Rust doesn't matter, it just looks bad and can be wiped off with an oily rag. It takes a lot of rust to make the only two coil springs that really matter inoperable, like years of rusting. The other springs don't really care if they are rusty or not.

My rule of thumb on these two weapon systems: an AR runs on oil, an AK runs on ammo

User

Quote Originally Posted by AK-Gunner View Post
    It isn't always closed (check the InRange test for one) and it doesn't really matter much. The AR is designed to have relatively tight clearances, thus the sand and mud doesn't find its way easily there where it does real damage, i.e. the trigger mechanism.

The fact that an AK has "big tolerances" (sic!, the people are actually talking about clearances) is due to spotty quality control in the land of Soviet Republics and making it safe to mass produce these weapons, not so much an idea to make the rifle "inaccurate (sic! again) but reliable".

BTW, an AK does have a dust cover, it's better known as a "selector", but it doesn't do the job as well as the one on an AR.

The real "torture test" would include shooting during a time period of at least two days, have at least one ambush/counter ambush drill, a few standard light infantry drills, movement through adverse conditions. This is when the AR/M-16 fails to keep up with an AK: the moment it loses it's lubrication, is filled with CLP/carbon gunk, buffer tube breathing hole plugged with goo, the rifle becomes more or less inoperable. Rust doesn't matter, it just looks bad and can be wiped off with an oily rag. It takes a lot of rust to make the only two coil springs that really matter inoperable, like years of rusting. The other springs don't really care if they are rusty or not.

My rule of thumb on these two weapon systems: an AR runs on oil, an AK runs on ammo
    And it seems that the AK47 can take higher round count in a short period of time abuse than the AR15 probably due to the much lower muzzle velocity (and maybe also bigger bore?) of the 7.62 round versus the 5,56 round.

If you want to see if dirt and sand can get in it. Put it inside your house when you going to repaint and they are sanding down the walls. Does not matter if you put that rifle inside 2 Zip lock bags. The dust will get inside it.

User

But the AR has a much higher "cool factor"rating.
    Am I right?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast