Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default New gun owner, Glock G45, waiting for Approval... (noob questions inside)

I am currently waiting for Approval for my Glock G45 that is sitting at the dealer.

I was initially going to get a G19 but after a lot of back and forth I decided to go for the G45 because it just felt better in my hand.
    I know I might have made concealment a bit more difficult for myself but it is what it is so I will just have to see how it works out in the long run.

Whilst waiting, I've decided to get some items in order:
    Gun belt, AIWB holster, OWB holster and range kit (protection).

What else should I consider getting ready while I wait? (This is for EDC btw)
    The firearm comes with 2 mags. I was thinking at least 1 extra mag. Not sure if I should go 17 or 17+2.
    Ammunition I need to wait for but I can educate myself so long. What should I look for in terms of range and carry?

What about EDC and driving? AIWB feels like it might not be doable. OWB seems more doable but will I be able to reach/react? Is there some vehicle holster/mount I should be considering?

Excuse the noob questions but I'd rather ask than not know :)

User

Default Re: New gun owner, Glock G45, waiting for Approval... (noob questions inside)

Congrats on the purchase.

Make sure to get a holster with a "Claw" because it helps to conceal the longer grip. Daniels holsters and quantum carry are the best IMHO.

A good gun belt.

Get as many mags as you can, Keep 2 mags for carry for now then get another 2 for sport/range time.

Winchester ranger T's, the cheapest Self defense ammo but shoot out at least 50 before carrying them for SD.

Look at getting a weapon mounted light from the start so that you dont have to buy extra holsters (for now)

DO NOT cheap out on eye and ear protection, I have seen many ricochets, and they make skin bleed.

Carrying a firearm is doable, AIWB, IWB, it just takes getting used to.

At least you have lots of time to explore all your options, and welcome to the community.... (My Glock 45 was approved 4 weeks ago ;-)

User

Default Re: New gun owner, Glock G45, waiting for Approval... (noob questions inside)

Save up for training with some local guys. Adriaan Roslee, Arno Barlow.

You will need some Randelas, and ammo to do this.

Find a tjommie to reload with. Best bet is join some sport shooting club. You will also then be able to practice how to use your kettie, and normally there are some social benefits.

You will have the tools to make holes. Learn how to close them temporarily Go do a Stop the bleed course with Rob Macallum.

User

AIWB is superior while driving. Car mounted holsters belong in the bad idea bin. If you can't carry effectively on body while driving, a better holster / training / gun is the solution, not removing it from your body.

Feel in the hand is a poor criteria to choose a firearm from. It will be in your hand a minority of the time, and on your hip a majority of the time. As a new owner/shooter, your grip is probably also not correct, and fixing that will change how it 'feels' anyway.

User

Don’t mean to Hijack the thread but what/where is the cheapest 9mm ammo someone can get to use at the range? I got the message that License approved on my Glock 19, just waiting for the card now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Oh yes, a good training course on essentials and then as many good courses as you can afford, combined with PRACTICE...

Quote Originally Posted by rog163 View Post
    Don’t mean to Hijack the thread but what/where is the cheapest 9mm ammo someone can get to use at the range? I got the message that License approved on my Glock 19, just waiting for the card now.

If you don't mean to hijack, don't.

It's not really that much more effort to start your own thread is it?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Steven001 View Post
    Congrats on the purchase.

Make sure to get a holster with a "Claw" because it helps to conceal the longer grip. Daniels holsters and quantum carry are the best IMHO.

A good gun belt.

Get as many mags as you can, Keep 2 mags for carry for now then get another 2 for sport/range time.

Winchester ranger T's, the cheapest Self defense ammo but shoot out at least 50 before carrying them for SD.

Look at getting a weapon mounted light from the start so that you dont have to buy extra holsters (for now)

DO NOT cheap out on eye and ear protection, I have seen many ricochets, and they make skin bleed.

Carrying a firearm is doable, AIWB, IWB, it just takes getting used to.

At least you have lots of time to explore all your options, and welcome to the community.... (My Glock 45 was approved 4 weeks ago ;-)
    Thanks for detailed response.

The AIWB I have waiting here is a Quantum Carry Chameleon V2 (with Claw and Wedge). I believe this should be sufficient.
    For the belt I have a Daniel's EDC. It feels like a solid option.
    Maybe I'll have to get 2 extra mags...
    I shall have a look at that ammo, thanks.
    Unfortunately I already have a holster without light support.

Congrats on the approval. Hopefully you are able to pick it up soon.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Grobbie View Post
    Save up for training with some local guys. Adriaan Roslee, Arno Barlow.

You will need some Randelas, and ammo to do this.

Find a tjommie to reload with. Best bet is join some sport shooting club. You will also then be able to practice how to use your kettie, and normally there are some social benefits.

You will have the tools to make holes. Learn how to close them temporarily Go do a Stop the bleed course with Rob Macallum.
    Training is definitely something that I have to research more.
    What kind of cost am I looking at for this?
    I definitely want to be comfortable and capable with the firearm... and that will take practice.

I have a couple of colleagues that reload so I might be able to get into it with them.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SLR View Post
    AIWB is superior while driving. Car mounted holsters belong in the bad idea bin. If you can't carry effectively on body while driving, a better holster / training / gun is the solution, not removing it from your body.

Feel in the hand is a poor criteria to choose a firearm from. It will be in your hand a minority of the time, and on your hip a majority of the time. As a new owner/shooter, your grip is probably also not correct, and fixing that will change how it 'feels' anyway.
    Thanks for the info. I have a AIWB holster so I shall see how to make that work for driving.
    Everyone has to start somewhere. I am more than willing to learn.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast